Stationary Goal Reinforcement

I have heard two conflicting stories on whether or not the PVC in the stationary goals are re-inforced by an internal 1 inch PVC stiffener. I can’t find this in the field specs anywhere. Does anyone have the definitive answer???

What we did was drill 2 holes (one under the top one about 6" down) this seemed to hold the pvc pipe preatty good.

I think he meant for the actual goals used in competition. Is this what you meant, Dr. Bot?

Dr. Bot,

What led you to believe that there is an internal 1 inch PVC stiffener?

:slight_smile:

Aidan

If you have not yet looked, on usFIRST.org you can go to Download the 2004 FIRST Robotics Competition Manual and Team Updates and about mid way down you will see 2004 field elements-stationary goal-1 and 2. If it is not there than what you hear is most likely not true.

I heard the ‘pro’ stiffener view from a FIRST board member who was on the game design committee. I heard the ‘con’ version from a FIRST regional co-ordinator. The reason I want to know is the stationary goals as built are pretty floppy and it is possible to throw small balls through them, accidently knock small balls out, jam the big ball so far down the goal that it can be a problem resetting the field. Also I am afraid that it will be pretty easy to shatter the unreinforced PVC unintentially during vigorous game play. I think it is a reasonable question.

Dr. Bot,

The recently posted field drawings (“2004 Field Elements”) are representative of the actual fields that were built for the competition season.

You will see that the mobile goal drawing contains no reference either to 1" PVC or to a stiffener.

:slight_smile:

Aidan

I just finished looking over the competition field drawings posted on the FIRST website. There is no mention of a stiffener.

While it might help, it would take some of the “challenge” out of shooting the balls.

Bob Hammond has confirmed NO stiffeners. :yikes: