Storing a variable outside of a loop

We’re trying to work on our acceleration algorithm. At first we were going to go with the accelerometer, but the thing is actually a lot more unpredictable than we thought, so we now want to use just a straight line for acceleration, something like y=mx+b. Only problem is, we can’t seem to figure out how to store the previous y, since y will become b the next time around the loop. I know how to do this in php, but I have NO idea about LabVIEW.

Since what I just said could be kinda confusing, here’s how I would have coded it if robots could run php:

<?
$override = false; // This would become true if the pilot presses a button, for taking turns or suddenly going in reverse to brake. 
$current_speed = 0;
$wants_to_go = 1;
$acceleration = 0.05;
while(true){
	if(!$override){
		while($current_speed <= $wants_to_go){
			$current_speed = $current_speed + $acceleration;
		}
	}else{
		$current_speed = $wants_to_go;
	}
}
?>

What you want in LabVIEW is a shift register (or a feedback node). Select Help->Search Help

and type Shift Registers

Select "Using Shift Registers to Remember Iteration Values "

I would provide you an example, but I’m pressed for time at the moment.

One other note: I know you said storing a variable outside a loop and a shift register requires a loop. However, the beauty is that the loops doesn’t have to actually do anything. Frequently, LabVIEW programs make use of loops that only execute once (e.g. while loop that is wired to stop after one iteration) and the only purpose of the loop is to allow it to have a shift register.

The newer versions of LabVIEW (I think starting with LabVIEW 8.0) have Feedback Nodes that you can use without loops, but they do the same thing as the shift register.

-Nate