Strategic Analysis Paper Review

Hi all,

After watching a number of different videos on Strategic Analysis and such, I developed a packet for my rookie team to use to help them learn how to analyze the game and decide what we should design. Tonight we are making use of this in a Mock Kickoff. I am going to split them into smaller groups for each section and then we will discuss it as a whole team.

Am I missing anything?

Strategic Design Packet.pdf (174.3 KB)

4 Likes

I like it. I would also factor in the value of rank points somewhere as that can change game play priorities. It did for us this past year, we focused on a rank point that we could achieve without anything but the most modest of assistance from alliance partners and our results in 2019 speak for themselves. Definitely a priority for us in game analysis for 2020.

Looks good.

As @MeBeMe mentiond, evaluating ranking points and their respective challenges is important. Even if they don’t offer any actual points.

The other thing I think this is missing is that it’s important to understand the tie breakers.
Edit: (And also the difference in point values, objectives & tie breakers between quals and elims.)

You’re right. Completely forgot about ranking points.

What makes a good mock kickoff?

This thread that I put to together might be helpful for you for what to do.

Good point on tie breakers. If we paid closer attention, we would have moved cargo instead of hatches.

MysterE, make sure to focus on “what” your game objectives/priorities are before “how”. We don’t try to envision what other robots will look like until our “what” has been decided. We do try to envision how scoring will progress and the game play evolution during the season.

Do you mind if I “borrow” parts of your document and adapt them for our team. We have more tribal knowledge than documented processes but i’m trying to change that.

1 Like

Thanks for the tips and please adapt as you will. I’d love for you to reshare your adaptations if you could.

-Daniel

Absolutely

Looks good overall. I might added a sentence or two about Defense, just so it’s kept in mind while analyzing these things.

1 Like

I would highly recommend having a very detailed discussion about team goals and other objectives before doing a mock kickoff. This will allow students to see robots play at the level where the team is trying to achieve. I do not think it is realistic for a rookies team goal to be winning worlds, but maybe getting to worlds would be an achievable goal. If the team has this discussion before hand, then designs can be tailored to that goal instead of trying to compare to juggernauts. Then the students can see more robots that year that achieved maybe a more realistic goal and see how many different options there are.

2 Likes

Our score analysis includes estimated time to complete scoring action.
Estimating how long it will take to complete a scoring action can really shine a light on whether something is “worth it.”

Looks good! A couple of points that I noticed, though:

1. Ranking all the actions really early on by their perceived “difficulty” may put you into the trap of skipping certain actions that may be both somewhat difficult but also critically important. For example: my team categorized the L3 climb this year as a fairly difficult task, but we also recognized that it was worth a lot. To our team, this meant that we should try to do it. A lot of teams made a similar calculation, so a task that we estimated would be done by very few teams was actually accomplished by a lot more.
    What I’m trying to say is, make sure that you have good reasoning for why you’re categorizing tasks into the difficulty level you are putting them into before you decide to not try them.

2. Going off of the above point: it may be helpful to not even consider difficulty of a task until after you come up with some potential way to accomplish it. While you’re still in the “strategy” phase, perhaps skip the difficulty analysis and just focus on (as @Zook said) estimated time to complete action and the value of the task. If you determine, by those metrics, that the task is worth performing, then look into how you would do it, and see if the ways you can come up with to do the tasks are within your resource limits.

3. Minor issue: on page 5 you refer to looking at 4 types of teams, but you only refer to 3 types of teams on that page.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.