=========STRATEGY PROBLEM #1==========

Posted by Anton Abaya at 02/22/2001 2:44 PM EST

Coach on team #419, Rambots, from UMass Boston / BC High and NONE AT THE MOMENT! :(.

As you all know, strategy in this year’s competition is more crucial than ever before. From my experience at the Quincy Scrimmage, it seemed to me that often times the coaches decide on a strategy without really making a mental animation of how things would occur and perhaps even the points one would achieve in the match. (then again, it was all in good practice).

As such, I will be presenting several daily combinations of robots and their strongest skills and I would like you all to reply with the best STRATEGY that you think should be followed based on the combination. We all know that there are super robots out there that can do multiple tasks, but we also know that they will have to choose which one they will use most if they want high scores. There just isnt enough time in 2 minutes (let alone the stop button) to do all they wanted to do.

So without futher adue, let me present STRATEGY PROBLEM #1.

Robots A, B, C, and D are on the field:

Robot A goes limbos and has a big arm that picks up big balls.

Robot B needs the bridge to cross, but can pull 2 goals on the bridge.

Robot C needs the bridge and can both pick up balls and pull 2 goals on the bridge.

Robot D goes limbos and controls the bridge in either direction and can also sit beneath the bridge to counter see-saw effect and balances as soon as the bridge is tilted.

What would be the best strategy? reply below.

Posted by Anton Abaya at 02/22/2001 2:45 PM EST

Coach on team #419, Rambots, from UMass Boston / BC High and NONE AT THE MOMENT! :(.

In Reply to: =========STRATEGY PROBLEM #1==========
Posted by Anton Abaya on 02/22/2001 2:44 PM EST:

: So without futher adue, let me present STRATEGY PROBLEM #1.

: Robots A, B, C, and D are on the field:

: Robot A limbos and has a big arm that picks up big balls.

: Robot B needs the bridge to cross, but can pull 2 goals on the bridge.

: Robot C needs the bridge and can both pick up balls and pull 2 goals on the bridge.

: Robot D limbos and controls the bridge in either direction and can also sit beneath the bridge to counter see-saw effect and balances as soon as the bridge is tilted.

: What would be the best strategy? reply below.

i removed “goes” before the word “limbos.”

Posted by EddieMcD at 02/23/2001 12:09 AM EST

Student on team #121, Islanders, from Middletown High School and NUWC.

In Reply to: typo…
Posted by Anton Abaya on 02/22/2001 2:45 PM EST:

A goes to the other side, and puts a big ball on the far goal. C takes the bridge first, and goes to the endzone. A goes to endzone. B grabs near goal, and pushes it to alliance station where human players load it. D puts bridge to near side, and positions under the far side of bridge. B takes near goal and and stays on the bridge as it balances. D goes to the endzone.

Saying that 10 balls make it from the player station, and done in under 30 seconds, A gets 330, and everyone else gets 300.

Posted by Chris Orimoto at 02/24/2001 3:02 AM EST

Student on team #368, Kika Mana, from McKinley High School and Nasa Ames/Hawaiian Electric/Weinberg Foundation.

In Reply to: =========STRATEGY PROBLEM #1==========
Posted by Anton Abaya on 02/22/2001 2:44 PM EST:

First of all, I shall assume that B and C have equal balancing abilities. In this case, I think B should be on the stretcher. Also assuming that C can pull the stretcher (because it can tow goals) here goes:

First, A takes a dead sprint under the bar and graba a big ball. C grabs the stretcher (with B on it) and goes over the bridge. D pushes the goal to the alliance station where it is to be filled up (15 balls can fit in one goal, we tried it).

The time it takes for C to grab onto the stretcher and go over the bridge SHOULD be enough for A to go under and grab a big ball. A should then head back over the bridge and put the big ball on the near goal. While all this is going on, D should be heading under the bar to hang out by the bridge.

C should then drop-off B in the endzone and place a big ball on the far goal. The time it takes C to do this SHOULD be enough for A to drop off the ball and come back over the bridge. C then grabs the goal, goes over the bridge, grabs the other goal and balances with the help of D who is (by now) on the far side of the field. D then heads for endzone.

This limits the amount of balance time over all. With this strategy, you are guaranteed:

10+10+10+10+10+10+15=75
754=300
I doubt that ALL of this can be done in under 1:30 (although it IS possible). Under 1:45 sounds feasible though, which would result in a score of:
1.5= 450

IF by chance this alliance IS able to do this in under 1:30, then:
300*2=600

Just my personal thoughts…

Chris, #368