Sub $5ish items not in the KOP that should be

This topic came up this season for me while having a wonderful discussion with an HQ dignitary.

So far, I’d like to suggest that stickers for the main breaker and main pressure relief valves (yes, I know IFI donated some but some really nice vinyl ones in the KOP would be awesome).

Along with that, I’d also like to suggest a couple nord lock washers and locking nuts for the main breaker terminals. Yes, I know those are 1/4-24 or M6 but they could be procured.

What else would people like to see?

18 Likes

I second the nord-lock washers. Inline WAGOs. Added to the stickers, battery labels, like the IFIs if those aren’t included, do get used. I don’t think there is battery terminal sized heat shrink in the kit or FC currently. Maybe not $5, but 5V regulators, like for the zebraswitch. Pneumatic plugs to end the fold & zip tie.

14 Likes

Sorry, this isn’t all under $5. But I believe the KoP should contain stuff teams actually use, particularly during early days of prototyping.

An assorted box of rivets: https://www.amazon.com/ISPINNER-385pcs-Aluminum-Rivets-Assortment/dp/B08J2NZK4D/

Fresh drill bits for those size rivets.

…and a hand-operated pop riveter in the rookie KoP.

Hex shaft and hex bearings.

Spools of 12 AWG and 18 AWG red/black wire.

Roll of red and roll of black electrical tape.

Duct tape. Gaffer Tape & Carpet Tape for carpet lines and repairs.

Zip ties!

This kind of double-faced tape: https://www.amazon.com/Double-Sided-Tape-Heavy-Duty/dp/B07Z1WPB77/

WAGO 221 lever nuts.

Surgical tube.

A couple pieces of 1/4" plywood as big as the bottom of the crate, and a box of wood screws small enough to rapidly mount some electronics for prototyping.

A roll of perforated plumber’s tape: https://www.amazon.com/LASCO-13-1601-28-Gauge-Galvanized-Perforated/dp/B0083GC8V2/

One long USB-C cable so you don’t need to figure out how to position your laptop 6" away from all your SparkMAX motor controllers to flash them with this year’s new firmware (using the insanely short cable that Rev ships them with).

13 Likes

Eh. No duct tape. Used to be it wasn’t even allowed on robots. I’d be ok with going back to that. But.

The spring lock connector for roborio Power.
Wire strippers.
10/32 nuts with nylocks
More CAN wire.
Right angle USB extenders to protect laptop ports (with instructions).
USB to ethernet dongle ($6 right now on amazon).
Elkind Hex Key Set. ($7 on amazon). American
Elkind Hex Key Set. ($7 on amazon). Metric

7 Likes

I second the USB extenders and USB to ethernet dongle. And the allen keys.

3 Likes

Of course, anything we say that’s $5 now may well be $10 by next kickoff. :money_mouth_face:

11 Likes

… or by next Thursday.

10 Likes

10-12 page handout on how to avoid common or very painful mistakes (loose wires, size/weight reminders, etc.)?

Enough decent quality wire to do one robot would be pretty high on my list, but would exceed $5. Given this, some samples and ordering info for decent wire, etc.

13 Likes

Yeah, I debated using “low hanging fruit” instead of applying a price point but it’s far from a set price as things are very much in flux.

Keystone 4337 brackets. The best little bracket to spam down wherever.

Any of the Big Three’s 90-degree gussets. Drilled out a bit, it’s a pretty stout way to attach vertical members to an AM14U chassis on its hole spacing. Or do whatever.

Painter’s tape. Emergency label, quick hold-down, whatever. And you’ve already got a relationship with 3M. This should be a layup.

Plano ProLatch Stowaway boxes. AndyMark uses them to organize things like their spacer kit, and they’re just the best. And about $5 in the fishing aisle at Walmart. Organize small stuff in them in the kit, cut down on plastic bags, and teams will either use it or give it away as a largesse item to another team organizing stuff.

Tube connecting nuts. About $2 each and so useful for a stand-off or dead axle. So one standoff’s worth would be under the $5 mark.

A poster of the vertical hole in the wall the next time there’s a shooting game, with a clear mark saying “this line should be N inches above the ground”.

10 Likes

Mufflers for pneumatic exhausts $2.25 ea

7 Likes

Here is the list of items we provided to the teams in our Houston Development Program this year. There were 3 tiers, so some items are duplicated because we gave things in different quantities based on the tiers. These items were selected based on items that we (3847 & 5414) had and items we thought young teams could need.

Item Qty Cost Total
Battery 1 $40.00 $40.00
Keystone 4337 Brackets 50 $0.21 $10.59
Flush Cutters 1 $1.30 $1.30
6" F Clamp 2 $2.99 $5.98
Deburring Tool 1 $2.00 $2.00
CIM Motor 2 $30.00 $60.00
Battery Charger 1 $18.00 $18.00
Aviation Snips 1 $3.99 $3.99
Center Punch 1 $3.99 $3.99
Tape Measure 1 $1.99 $1.99
Mallet 1 $5.99 $5.99
VHB 1 $0.00 $0.00
Motor Controllers 2 $40.00 $80.00
MiniCIM Motor 2 $29.99 $59.98
Storage Tub 1 $8.00 $8.00
1/2 Plastic Hub 2 $2.99 $5.98
Hex Bearings 5 $3.00 $15.00
Hex Hubs 2 $6.25 $12.50
Hex Collar 4 $3.00 $12.00
PowerPole Crimper 1 $28.00 $28.00
APP Red Housing 20 $0.44 $8.82
APP Black Housing 20 $0.44 $8.82
APP 45 Contacts 40 $0.19 $7.40
Additional Battery 1 $40.00 $40.00
Organizer 1 $10.00 $10.00
Step Drill 1-1/8 1 $12.99 $12.99
Wire Stripper 1 $6.99 $6.99
Motor Controllers 2 $40.00 $80.00
BAG Motor 1 $20.00 $20.00
10-32 Lock Nuts 200 $0.04 $7.64
10-32 1-1/2" Bolts 100 $0.10 $10.09
10-32 1/2" Bolts 100 $0.07 $7.07
3/16" Rivets 200 $0.04 $8.00
Rivet Gun 1 $5.00 $5.00
19 Likes

Maybe this was included at some point, but the version we have is VERY old and frayed…

A nice, easy to read chart for drill bit sizes for various tolerances, including tapping bit sizes.

Not something a team needs every year, I suppose, but having them plastered on every wall of a workspace helps avoid mistakes.

3 Likes

Pamphlets that explain scouting and how competition works.

A link to CD and the FRC Discord, and a link to documentation for an Everybot-style robot to play the game at a low level.

More information about good wiring practices, maybe even a 3dp radio mount and some rubber feet for one. +1 to the suggestion of throwing some lever nuts in there. Some information on how many batteries are needed for the competition would be good.

Contact information for teams in the area willing to help.

14 Likes

KOP compatible gussets for attaching vertical box and braces.
The wire and handout would be great.

For rookies, a basic mechanism guide (roller claws, elevators, wheeled shooters, etc) could go a long way as well.

3 Likes

I know it’s available online, and I get that printing costs are a thing, and I understand that it might seem wasteful to some, and maybe I’m just too old-school, but a printed copy of the NASA RAP Robotics Design Guide would be an amazing addition to the KoP.

20 Likes

Where are you getting a decent pair of aviation snips for $4?

Tbf he didn’t specify decent. Harbor Freight is $5 for their cheapest model and they work.

3 Likes

Until they snap on the second cut from over-hardening. Love those. Almost as good as the cheap amazon ones.

2 Likes

They were the HF ones, used to be $4 at some point. For cutting 1/16" polycarb they work well enough.

3 Likes