Summer events and Senior Drivers

Posted by David Kelso.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Coach on team #131, C.H.A.O.S.-, from Central High School and OSRAM SYLVANIA/ Fleet Bank.

Posted on 5/5/2000 4:28 AM MST

What does YOUR team do for drivers during summer contests if your driving team has just graduated? Do you end their driving time at graduation or when they leave to go to college?

Posted by Erin.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Student on team #1, The Juggernauts, from Oakland Technical Center-Northeast Campus and 3-Dimensional Services.

Posted on 5/5/2000 4:57 AM MST

In Reply to: Summer events and Senior Drivers posted by David Kelso on 5/5/2000 4:28 AM MST:

our drivers are a current freshman and a junior. i am supposing that when mike (our junior) leaves, they will have a backup in his place to train and use until they have driver try-outs in december. i’m sure that our current driver, even after graduated, would be welcome back to drive the robot in he could have the time for it.

p.s. mike received a scholarship to Drexel, so I don’t know how close to home he will be in the fall of 2001!

Posted by Joe Ross.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Coach on team #330, Beach Bot 2000, from Hope Chapel Academy and NASA/JPL & J&F Machine.

Posted on 5/5/2000 11:53 AM MST

In Reply to: Summer events and Senior Drivers posted by David Kelso on 5/5/2000 4:28 AM MST:

We have one driver graduating this year, and we asked him whether he wanted to continue driving or not, he said that as soon as the nationals were over he was done driving because he wanted us to have as much time to train a new driver as possible. Last year, I was a senior and the human player. I said the same thing because I wanted to let someone else get used to the pressure up on the stage.

So, thats what we do, What about the rest of you?

Joe Ross
Team 330

: What does YOUR team do for drivers during summer contests if your driving team has just graduated? Do you end their driving time at graduation or when they leave to go to college?

Posted by Amy .

Student on team #126, Gael Force, from Clinton High and NYPRO.

Posted on 5/6/2000 2:51 PM MST

our drivers are both seniors. they will probably drive in some of the matches and let their backups drive in the rest

Posted by colleen.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Coach on team #246, a FIRST-aholic, from John D. O’Byrant High School/Boston Latin Academy and NSTAR/Boston University/Wentworth Institute of Technology/MassPEP.

Posted on 5/6/2000 3:38 PM MST

Speaking not from a particular team but from my experiences:

As a high school student: I was part of the driving team all 4 years… and all 4 we participated in Rumble for our summer comp.

freshman year: I was a back-up and the 2 primaries were seniors, but myself and the other back-up (a senior) drove… the 2 primaries didn’t attend competition

sophomore year: myself and the other primary driver, both sophomores, drove @ Rumble and our back-ups chose to coach…

junior year: my back-up driver was a senior (go Andy!) as well as our back-up HP, so myself and the other primary (who was a senior) coached to let the seniors have a last run at driving (ok- so we snuck in for a few matches)

senior year: i was primary driver, and the only senior at the competition… it was left up to me, so i chose to switch it around… sometimes i drove, sometimes i operated, sometimes i coached… it was the same for the back-up driver and HP as well as our primary HP… we all switched our jobs around…

As a one time senior and 4-year driver, I must say that the summer competitions were the most fun to drive in, and as a senior, i truly looked forward to Rumble as the place that i could close out my year… i would recommend you leave the choice up to your primary team (driver, operator, HP) and let them decide what they want to do… and as for your back-ups: let them coach… there is A LOT to be learned just by being on the field before you actually have your hands on the joysticks (that’s why i chose the rotation thing at Rumble last year)… even if your back-ups never get in to drive, if they have that on-field experience they will be that much more prepared for the year to come…

let the seniors decide if they want to be part- it really serves as the best closure and the most fun to your FIRST experience…

-colleen

Posted by Andy Grady.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Coach on team #42, P.A.R.T.S, from Alvirne High School and Daniel Webster College.

Posted on 5/6/2000 5:53 PM MST

We are competing in multiple off season competitions and what we opted to do was let backups and non drivers drive in the smaller competitions. And in the larger competitions (ex. Rumble, WPI) we will have our primary drivers out there. This will give the seniors on last hurrah, and also give the underclassemen a shot at showing what they have. As a tip to teams I would recommend this style of choosing drivers for off season competitions because not only does everyone leave happy, but you can also do a talent search for the following year. If it wasn’t for River Rage last year where we had one of our non drivers take a shot at the sticks, we wouldn’t have found the excelent driver (in my opinion at least) that we had this year.
Good Luck,
Andy Grady, DWC/Alvirne HS