Sunset Showdown 2024 Offseason Event

We are excited to announce the inaugural Sunset Showdown this July hosted by USS Hornet Sea, Air & Space Museum and presented by FIRST California and Team 5924 - Golden Gate Robotics! We will be playing the 2024 FRC game, championship rules with some modifications, all on the flight deck of the USS Hornet aircraft carrier in Alameda, CA. ~42 robot capacity. Feel free to ask in this thread if you have questions or email [email protected].

WHEN:

Saturday & Sunday, July 19-21, 2024 (Friday load-in)

The event will consist of a load-in day with practice matches (Friday, matches time permitting), a day of qualification matches (Saturday), and a half day of elimination matches (Sunday).

USS Hornet Sea, Air & Space Museum
707 W Hornet Ave
Alameda, CA 94501

EVENT REGISTRATION:

Send in your applications (and sign up to volunteer) at sunsetshowdown.org

REGISTRATION COST:

$375 per team with each additional robot charges the same. Additional robots will be automatically waitlisted to ensure space for teams (and likely only called up in the event of a last minute cancellation).

IMPORTANT NOTES:

This event will be played outdoors on the flight deck of the USS Hornet! This is going to be a fun, exciting challenge for our teams and robots. Because of this, rule modifications may be made to reflect wind and lighting conditions (we are taking several steps to mitigate normal amounts of wind). In the event of rain forecasted during the weekend, we will hold the event on the hangar deck downstairs with condensed pits.

The deadline for team registration is May 6th, 2024, at 11:59 PM PDT. Any teams registering after this will be waitlisted. Invitations will be sent out roughly 1 week later, and teams will have 1 week to accept before their invitation is given to someone on the waitlist.

Volunteers who would like to help us out, thank you! We ask that all who would like to join in a specific role to fill out the interest form by May 6th, 2024, at 11:59 PM.

Load in details and other pertinent event information will be sent out after registration ends and payment is complete.

We hope to see you there!
Team 5924 and FIRST California

PS We will still bring the cookies.

70 Likes

Hyped for these one, been hoping for Battleship blast or a similar event to come back, will be hopefully attending!

1 Like

24 Likes

The last time I was this excited for an off-season was my first ever trip to Chezy Champs. I’ve been talking about wanting to play with robots on an aircraft carrier for years!

24 Likes

Looks like a water game to me

9 Likes

This is true, Matt doesn’t stop talking about robots on boats.

33 Likes

This seems like a very interesting premise…

Does the aircraft carrier rock at all? If so, I’m curious to see how it might affect the gyros on the robots.

3 Likes

will DEFINITELY attend

1 Like

Im more scared for cameras, if the event is outside that will mean changing lighting conditions throughout the day and the possibility that sunlight in the mornig and evening will overexpose/blind cameras facing in certain directions.

4 Likes

I haven’t been on this particular aircraft carrier, but it shouldn’t. It’s both unbelievably large and in a harbor so it’s very unlikely to move.

1 Like

How are y’all planning on getting everything up to the flight deck? Last I checked, there’s no elevators or ramps up to the flight deck.

Also, @Junhee, I’ve been on this specific carrier, and because of its size and the calm waters of the mooring inside of the bay, it doesn’t move at all.

3 Likes

the simple solution, of course, is to not use vision systems

2 Likes

Perfect venue to train future Lockheed Martin engineers!

6 Likes

How do you think the planes get up there.

7 Likes

Having been on both Iowa and Midway, it WILL rock despite being moored in harbor and being large. However, it won’t be very noticeable after a minute or two, and shouldn’t affect play.

1 Like

I was on the midway last weekend and didn’t notice anything but the fact I spent many a summer weekend on a boat when I was younger means I might’ve been more used to it.

1 Like

They fly, of course!

7 Likes

Large cranes, or by using the plane elevators, which are operated once a year.

1 Like

Team \n from Idaho is currently discussing the potential of us attending.

3 Likes

IIRC, @kiettyyyy stated that the new robot radio was not allowed to operate on boats. Or ships.

Or am I up my tree here?

6 Likes