Support for team C.H.A.O.S. needed

Posted by Linda Brown.

Other on team #131, C.H.A.O.S, from Manchester Central High School and Osram Sylvania & Fleet Bank.

Posted on 10/5/2000 12:48 PM MST

Hey all, if you don’t already know, Dave Kelso, advisor for Team CHAOS, said that they are on the waiting list for the NE regional. I was thinking if we gather enough support from other Delphi posters, we could send something to FIRST, saying how much CHAOS would be missed, and how the NE regional just won’t be the same without them. Please, as a former CHAOS member and fellow FIRST lover, show your support for CHAOS going to NE! Maybe if we get enough support, FIRST will find a way to let Team CHAOS into the UTC NE.
Peace,
Linda

Posted by Lora Knepper.

Other on team #419, Rambots, from UMass Boston / BC High and NASA, Mathsoft, Solidworks, Analog Devices.

Posted on 10/5/2000 1:56 PM MST

In Reply to: Support for team C.H.A.O.S. needed posted by Linda Brown on 10/5/2000 12:48 PM MST:

I don’t think I am alone when I say that the New England Regional without CHAOS just isn’t New England… and from what I understand, if they can’t go to the NE, then they can’t do a regional…we have to get the Regional Champs to Hartford again. There has to be something that can be done…

Lora

Posted by Jessica Boucher.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Student on team #237, Sie-H2O-Bots, from Watertown High School and Eastern Awning Systems & The Siemon Company.

Posted on 10/5/2000 2:50 PM MST

In Reply to: 110% Support =) posted by Lora Knepper on 10/5/2000 1:56 PM MST:

…we have to get the Regional Champs to Hartford again. There has to be something that can be done…

: Lora

I totally agree, UTC Regionals were in the works of being planned out by the RCU before the registration, and it wouldn’t be the same without my partner-in-crime there!

-Jess Boucher #237, co-founder of RCU

Posted by Justin.

Other on team Blue Lightning Alumni Association from RWU sponsored by FIRST-A-holics Anonymous.

Posted on 10/5/2000 3:21 PM MST

In Reply to: Support for team C.H.A.O.S. needed posted by Linda Brown on 10/5/2000 12:48 PM MST:

Hello All,

Let me first start off by saying I love CHAOS and Dave as much as the next FIRST-A-Holic. I want to see them there just as much as anyone else out on these boards. But we also have to remember that if FIRST bends the rules for one team then they have 2 do it for 40 more. However…perhaps there is a team out there that has a regional that is closer to them they would like to go to and free up a spot for our good pals on CHAOS. It may be a hard sell but don’t let that stop u all from trying.

-Justin

Posted by colleen.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Coach on team #246, Blue Light Special, from John D. O’Byrant High School/Boston Latin Academy and NSTAR/Boston University/UTC/Raytheon/MassPEP.

Posted on 10/5/2000 7:17 PM MST

In Reply to: Devil’s Advocate 4 a second. posted by Justin on 10/5/2000 3:21 PM MST:

amy–

I have to say, Justin’s got a point…

As much as I think CHAOS is great… and it was wonderful to be with them and my old team 126 when the were runners-up at nationals…

FIRST wouldn’t be setting a good example if they broke the rules for CHAOS… no offense, but it wouldn’t be fair… 131 is well known, and I’m sure they could rack up the support, but maybe some other team isn’t… and they’re on the waiting list too… does that make them less worthy of a spot to compete…

We’ve gotta consider that with limited capacity regionals… getting shut out or put on waiting list is going to happen to MANY teams… so if we don’t let all of them in, I hate to say that I think the only way CHAOS should be let in is if they go through the same process as everyone else… a spot open’s up, and they are next on the list…

Yes, I DO HOPE one does open up… I would hate to see CHAOS not attend… but I would hate to see FIRST start favoring or breaking rules to suit only certain teams…

Our team registered the first day registration started for this very reason… people wanted to participate in the UTC regional, we knew space was limited… so we made sure we registered right away…

I’m sorry for all the teams that can’t get in… but that’s part of the way it goes…

Posted by Joe Johnson.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Engineer on team #47, Chief Delphi, from Pontiac Central High School and Delphi Automotive Systems.

Posted on 10/5/2000 8:16 PM MST

In Reply to: Justin’s got a GOOD point — posted by colleen on 10/5/2000 7:17 PM MST:

No CHAOS at the New England Regional! Zounds!

Part of the reason we decided to go to that regional was that CHAOS cleaned our clocks at the Nationals! We decide that we had to get out East to see these New England teams upclose and personal.

At this point we are committed to attending because I believe that we have put out money to reserve tickets and hotels.

Even so, I would like to know if there a strong feeling that Chief Delphi is to blame for CHAOS not getting in the NE Regional?

Comments welcome.

Joe J.

Posted by Linda Brown.

Other on team #131, C.H.A.O.S, from Manchester Central High School and Osram Sylvania & Fleet Bank.

Posted on 10/5/2000 9:12 PM MST

In Reply to: Chief Delphi’s the Bad Guy? posted by Joe Johnson on 10/5/2000 8:16 PM MST:

Absolutely not, Joe. Delphi was at NE in '98, and I’m sure that they were there before my time in FIRST. I have no problems with CD going to NE. It would make it more interesting if you guys did go. T131 and I are always up for the challenge of going against CD. Don’t think it’s your fault for them getting on the waiting list. I’m sure that CD was signed up a long time ago.
I’m not the person to talk to about CHAOS and the waiting list. Ask Dave Kelso how far down on the list T131 stands, then we shall know if CHAOS has a shot at NE.
Peace,
Linda

Posted by colleen.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Coach on team #246, Blue Light Special, from John D. O’Byrant High School/Boston Latin Academy and NSTAR/Boston University/UTC/Raytheon/MassPEP.

Posted on 10/5/2000 10:14 PM MST

In Reply to: Chief Delphi’s the Bad Guy? posted by Joe Johnson on 10/5/2000 8:16 PM MST:

Hey Joe–

I would never begin to think CD or any other team would be to ‘blame’ for CHAOS not being in NE…

You guys registered early, claimed your spot, and made your plans…

You happened to do it earlier than another team…

That other team happens to be CHAOS…

I may only speak for myself, or I may not… but I say bring on the Chief to New England… I’ve always thought that New England was one of the BEST regionals for competitiveness… and Delphi does nothing but ENHANCE the competition and make the game more exciting…

I remember '98… how sweet was the regional… it was so tough that NO TEAM WAS UNDEFEATED in seeding… Clinton, Delphi, Assabet and 2 others I believe (don’t remember) had one loss… I don’t know that that ever happened before, have no undefeated teams…

that’s the type of competition FIRST is looking to make… let’s see it again!! :slight_smile:

Posted by Justin.

Other on team Blue Lightning Alumni Association from RWU sponsored by FIRST-A-holics Anonymous.

Posted on 10/6/2000 8:03 AM MST

Hey Joe,

Let me start out by saying that I have a tremendous amount of respect for what the Chief has been able to accomplish. However since you are looking for people’s input I will provide my opinions. Deciding who gets to go to what regional is very tricky. There is no denying that FIRST needs money. So there for you can appreciated their ‘pay to play’ mentality. However I do think it would be nice if the teams closest to their ‘local’ regional got to go to it. I’m not talking about just CD + CHAOS because as Colleen mentioned the waiting list doesn’t just contain CHAOS. I don’t think that banning ‘non-local’ teams from a regional is the answer tho. Many of us have heard news coming down the pipe-line of two NE regionals…and I think it may finally be time. I don’t think CD is to blame. If anything this whole episode forces us to take a good look at how regionals work. When I first heard CD was coming 2 NE I personally couldn’t wait to see you guys in action again…but go easy on 146 okay…they’ve got a new sponsor this year and all :wink: :wink:

-Justin

Posted by Mike Faticanti.

Coach on team #157, AZTECHS, from Assabet Valley R.T.H.S. and Simplex/EMC²/Intel/Duke Engineering.

Posted on 10/6/2000 11:12 AM MST

: No CHAOS at the New England Regional! Zounds!

: Part of the reason we decided to go to that regional was that CHAOS cleaned our clocks at the Nationals! We decide that we had to get out East to see these New England teams upclose and personal.

: At this point we are committed to attending because I believe that we have put out money to reserve tickets and hotels.

: Even so, I would like to know if there a strong feeling that Chief Delphi is to blame for CHAOS not getting in the NE Regional?

: Comments welcome.

: Joe J.

Joe

Please reference what I mentioned Oct. 5. We would love to see your team in NE BUT we should also consider local teams first. Again this was mentioned at the team forum this summer so I would make some calls before I book the hotel rooms and flights. March is still 5 months away. Sometimes teams cannot register until the financial sponsor has committed. This may be the case with CHAOS. I have a feeling you may not be the only ‘non-local’ team heading to the NE.

Mike

Posted by Mike Faticanti.

Coach on team #157, AZTECHS, from Assabet Valley R.T.H.S. and Simplex/EMC²/Intel/Duke Engineering.

Posted on 10/5/2000 5:01 PM MST

: Hey all, if you don’t already know, Dave Kelso, advisor for Team CHAOS, said that they are on the waiting list for the NE regional. I was thinking if we gather enough support from other Delphi posters, we could send something to FIRST, saying how much CHAOS would be missed, and how the NE regional just won’t be the same without them. Please, as a former CHAOS member and fellow FIRST lover, show your support for CHAOS going to NE! Maybe if we get enough support, FIRST will find a way to let Team CHAOS into the UTC NE.
: Peace,
: Linda

Linda

At the team forum in August FIRST did mention that local teams would get preference over traveling teams when it came down to limited capacity regionals like the UTC NE. I hope this is the case. The UTC NE would not be the same without Team 131. If all 48 teams are from the NE area then maybe its time to have 2 NE regionals.

Mike

Posted by scott .

Coach on team #234, Cyberblue, from Perry Meridian High School and Rolls Royce.

Posted on 10/6/2000 9:41 AM MST

I’m not going to this regional but I have a real problem in petitioning for a team to leap frog others because they have a lot of contacts. This wouldn’t be a campaign for this team but against every team ahead of them. I hope for them being as remarkable of a team as they are that they eventually make it in to the regional of their choice, but not at the expense of lesser-known teams.

I feel like I’m explaining my tribal council vote

Sorry C.H.A.O.S.

Scott Ritchie Team 234

Posted by Erin.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Other on team ? from ? sponsored by ?.

Posted on 10/6/2000 11:47 AM MST

In Reply to: Re: Good ole Boy’s Network in Progress posted by scott on 10/6/2000 9:41 AM MST:

: I’m not going to this regional but I have a real problem in petitioning for a team to leap frog others because they have a lot of contacts. This wouldn’t be a campaign for this team but against every team ahead of them. I hope for them being as remarkable of a team as they are that they eventually make it in to the regional of their choice, but not at the expense of lesser-known teams.>>>

-But do you not agree that local teams should be higher priority? It like telling a Detroit team that the Great Lakes regional is full. Even though there is a second one (further away)and it’s already bad enough that they moved GLR north, there is no reason that they should deny a Detroit team entrance into the Great Lakes regional, esp. if a team from across the country is getting in. Some teams just can’t afford the longer trips (not only with money, but with time!! Longer trips make extra days, more absences for students, less students having the ability to attend, hotel stays, etc.)

It’s not that we are arguing because of their legitimacy in relation to their popularity or ‘contacts’ but due to the relevancy of their LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION!

All for playing near home,

Erin