Survey!#2 Need help with Senior engineering capstone project!

For my PLTW Engineering Design and Development Capstone Design Project I am currently conducting a survey in the area of parking cars in garages.
Please complete the brief survey and either post it as a reply or PM it to me. Thank you!

1. Do you drive a car?

2. Do you park in a garage?

3. How large is your vehicle?

4. Have you ever had any problems parking
    in a garage?

5. What kind of problems have you had?

6. What causes those problems?

7. Have you done anything to prevent this from happening?

1. Yes
  2. I used to
  3. Standard 4-door sedan
  4. Yes
  5. Allowing room on both sides of both vehicles in the two car portion of a 3 car garage
  6. Partially caused by items in the garage, but primarily by the size of a 2 car garage stall and the space needed to open a car door and exit the vehicle. there is a lot of wasted space between the 2 car stall and single car stall in a 3 car garage with the doors split 2-1.
  7. I parked at an angle, using more of the space between the two car stall and the single car stall.
  1. Yes, VW Rabbit
  2. Yes
  3. Subcompact hatchback
  4. Yes
  5. Small parking spot next to a concrete pillar
  6. The concrete pillar to the left of my spot
  7. Park diagonally in my spot at (10-15 degree angle)

There are two pillars that are spaced in a way that is barely enough space for two cars.

You might want to do a Google Form (Under Google Docs to make gathering your data a bit easier, it compiles the info into a spreadsheet.)

1. Yes
  2. Yes
  3. 15 passenger van (it is such a beast to drive)
  4. Yes, but it depends on the garage we try to park it in.
  5. Mainly height. 7.5’ clearance is just a little bit too small so we have to go for 8.0’. Oddly enough length wise we don’t have problems with space.
  6. Engineers making a cut off and requiring vehicles of my size find another place to park
  7. We make sure that it is above 7.5’ clearance after scraping part of the paint off the roof when a valet told us wrong.

Don’t know if that helps you at all. Good luck on your project!

1. Yes (why else answer?)
    2.Rarely, only when my parents are out of town or having their car taken care of.
  2. Compact
  3. No
  4. n/a
  5. n/a
  6. n/a

Yes
Yes
Full-size sedan
No but my wife has
She has hit mirrors against the garage door frame
Difficulties with depth perception? Not sure. (and want to stay married)
Besides yelling? No.

1. Do you drive a car?
    Yes

Not regularly

Plymouth Neon (smallish car)

in a garage?
    Yes

I have a hard time watching both side mirrors and the front at the same time. Also, I sometimes would park…get out…and find that I wasn’t up far enough. All this to get out and move forward more.

Lack of ability to see where I’m at in respect to the garage door properly. Also, the little bump I have to climb to get into the garage only allows me to enter with a certain amount of control over speed.

I usually just park outside. Nothing really technical, but it works. I have seen others use a suspended tennis ball technique to tell when they are in. I’m just too lazy to install such a thing. And I still would have to deal with mirrors.

1. Yes

2. No

3. Sub-compact

4. Yes

5. Too large a car in too small a space.
    In and out of the car too often on trips in rapid succession to bother opening and closing the garage doors.
    Garage overtaken by robot storage, home construction material, and unused college dorm loft beds.

6. Having children and the process of their growing up

7. Stopped parking in the garage. I purchased a smaller car too, but only occasionally put the car back in the garage nowadays. Sent the children off to college.

1. Yes

2. nope

3. Pretty large. '08 Toyota Tacoma double cab

4. YES

5. Not enough room anywhere. at least in a parking garage you can find some spaces with no cars around. but in my home garage… not possible

6. Way too much stuff. my garage has been found as a very nice storage facility

7. Yes, I’ve tried cleaning it. but after a while… well… it becomes a hassle to park in there since its STILL too small… so I stopped parking in it.

1. Do you drive a car? YES

2. Do you park in a garage? If it is not full of other stuff.

3. How large is your vehicle? small pick-up truck GMC

in a garage? Yes

5. What kind of problems have you had? Much to much junk in the garage to fit the cars

6. What causes those problems? **Me, pack rat… :rolleyes: **

7. Have you done anything to prevent this from happening? Yes, sell stuff at yard sales.

1. Do you drive a car?
    in a garage?

Yes
No, but i park in a parking lot(for my apt building only)
No, but i do have problems with people who don’t live in my building, parking in our lot!
n/a
n/a
Yell at people who park in our lot that don’t live there…

1. Do you drive a car?
    in a garage?

Yes
Yes
07 CTS
Yes
Poor depth perception, I got a little of the door paint on the front of the car
Bad genes?
Open the door from further back, not try to put the car away when Im tired

Just so you have a little more data I will give you the other two cars I drive too

Yes
Yes
08 Aura
No
NA
NA
NA

Yes
Yes
06 Lucerne
No (My dad has, his depth perception caused him to hit the frame with the front of the car)
N/A
N/A
N/A

1. Yes
  2. No
  3. Pretty large, older Tahoe
  4. Yes, Several
  5. Fitting and being alert enough to fit
  6. A momentary lapse of reason (and bad depth perception)
  7. Be more alert, get a new prescription.