switching from inventor to solidworks

I’m on a new team this year and have been appointed CAD captain. I’ve been cadding robots in inventor for years, but am switching to solidworks, as that’s what everyone on this team uses. I’ve explored and done a bit (generic mecanum base with wheels, Darth Vader’s lightsaber, ect). What are the most important aspects of solidworks/differences between the two that I would need to know and wouldn’t have figured out? Also, is there a way to do constraints in solidworks to the extent of inventor? Thanks for your help!!

They are pretty similar. I currently use both and have no issues switching between them. Most of the features in solidworks and inventor do the same things, but are located/called different things. You can do sketch constraints and normal constraints as well as inventor.

This video](https://youtu.be/oMwQvRETqvI) shows a few differences between the two programs.

I haven’t viewed the entire video. Let us know if it helps.

The biggest difference I’ve found with folks transitioning from Inventor to SolidWorks is that they think they still can’t do (or it will be very difficult to do) all sorts of things that are actually quite streamlined in SolidWorks. I have far fewer–actually none that I can think of–examples of the opposite direction. The feature parameters, patterning, assembly options, and overall UI and UI customization for SolidWorks all jump out at me. I haven’t used Inventor in several years though, so maybe it’s improved. I also don’t do wiring or architecture, which I’m told are Inventor strong suits.

My top advice: Don’t assume you can’t do something without checking you can’t. The same goes if something seems overly difficult. Also, click around and experiment: I find the SolidWorks UI to be very streamlined, but that means some very useful tools aren’t clogged with labels (the rollback bar’s functions are a quintessential example for my new CADers). Finally, take advantage of the customization. If you want a shortcut the way you have it in Inventor, move it. If you use something a lot, make it easy. (For instance, I sketch as much with my keyboard as my mouse, using keyboard letters for every common geometry tool I use.)