Tableau during the summer

My team wants to learn Tableau and how to best integrate it into our current scouting system, but the activation key in our kit of parts expired on 4/30/2018. I reached out to Tableau and they said cannot re-activate it or issue a new one if the kit of parts key has expired.

Since I’m sure some teams use Tableau for summer competitions or to prototype new scouting systems, how do you get around the expired key? Do your students all just apply for the student key and hope your mentors are teachers?

All of the stuff we do in Tableau can be done in the free version (with the exception of saving workbooks) so in the summer we use that.

EDIT:

Someone asked in Discord where to get the free version of tableau, it is available here

Short answer: You can’t, options are be a student/teacher or go free version.

Short answer: Yes.

I went through this about a month ago myself, and had no luck.

We currently use Qlik and wanted to investigate in the offseason, but found it wouldn’t play as nice as we wanted with the free version. I went back and forth with a rep from Tableau, and because our team is a community based team with no teachers, only the students could gain access after the 30 April deadline.

For now we are sticking with Qlik because it’s what we know and switching to the free version of Tableau doesn’t buy us much.

You could also try power BI it is what my team uses. It’s free from Microsoft and is very good for beginning users as t uses dax language which is the same as excel.

You don’t need to get Tableau with FIRST codes. Tableau is free for students, you just have to provide some form of student ID for verification.

https://www.tableau.com/academic

Alternately, RStudio and R are free to download, and thanks to the amazing work of Hadley Wickham, so too is the tidyverse*, and in particular ggplot(2).

If your students are willing to brave a learning curve (R is a vectorized language and there’s no denying that that’s weird for most programmers), using something like ggplot2 could be valuable for them. It’s a really powerful tool, and if you have the good judgement to use it properly (read: don’t use the fancy stuff unless you have a good reason) you can create some gorgeous data visualizations extremely quickly.

If you’d like some resources to learn more about R or ggplot I would love to point you in the right direction.