Tables we came up with in Silicon Valley

Posted by Ken Leung at 03/26/2001 6:11 AM EST

Student on team #192, Gunn Robotics Team, from Henry M. Gunn Senior High School.

During the San Jose regional, my team was able to watch the practice matches the first day, as well as going around figuring out which robot does what¡K and came up with the first version of GIA (Gunn Intelligence Agency) Ability table Friday morning, and was handed out to most of the teams. That sheet included what robots actually did during the practice rounds¡K

During the second day of competition, again my team was able to watch all the qualifying rounds, and that night I brought all the match sheets gathered all the useful data into yet another spread sheet, and was able to hand out the newer version of scouting data table to some of the teams¡K That sheet included what robots actually did during the qualifying rounds, tell a lot more of what each robot was capable of during competition.

As soon as I find a place for it, I will make those files open to the public for downloading, and hopefully they will help out in the whole scouting process for Florida. Mean while, anyone interested in having a copy can e-mail me about it.

A few words I would like to say about those tables¡K We weren¡¦t able to ensure total quality in the data we came up with because of human errors. We did the best we could in scouting each robot¡¦s abilities. I am sorry if there were any mistakes in those tables. Also, it was really late at night when I finish putting the data together, so that could¡¦ve been the reason for the mistakes (that¡¦s why I average an hour of sleep for the two night).

My intention in making them available to all teams in that regional is to help each teams get a better feeling about all the other robots, be a bit more prepared before going up into a match with 3 other teams, and better prepared when picking alliance partners. That intention still stands.

Because of the nature of creating such thing in the first place, I am reluctant in making any changes to the data. We insisted in trusting what we saw during actual matches, and I believe that is a fair standpoint in scouting.

I know those table helped me a lot when we were trying to pick alliance partners, so at least I don¡¦t feel so bad about making them¡K I did what I thought was best¡K Hope they help¡K

Posted by Ken Leung at 03/26/2001 4:09 PM EST

Student on team #192, Gunn Robotics Team, from Henry M. Gunn Senior High School.

In Reply to: Tables we came up with in Silicon Valley
Posted by Ken Leung on 03/26/2001 6:11 AM EST:

Thanks to Joe Ross for putting the files in the Beach Bot 2001 webpage…

Go ahead and take a look of the tables.

Posted by Joe Ross at 03/26/2001 8:07 PM EST

Engineer on team #330, Beach Bot, from Hope Chapel Academy and NASA/JPL , J&F Machine, and Raytheon.

In Reply to: the files are up
Posted by Ken Leung on 03/26/2001 4:09 PM EST:

Ken sent me a third spreadsheet that I put up. There are also HTML versions for those who don’t have excel.

see the link below