Tall Shooters vs Small Shooters

What is the difference?

My team is using a short shooter that can shoot 25 feet and hit the same spot + or - 4 inches. All I see this year is tall shooters.

What about mid?

easier to block the short guy ;). why do you think you dont see any… shorter ethnicities playing basketball

The reasoning behind tall shooters is that the ball is already starting at a higher altitude, so it can go further with less power.

With that being said, we have a mid level shooter.

With a taller shooter aren’t you more likely to tip over though

Not necessarily. It’s entirely possible to design short shooters that shoot at an angle that’s impossible to block. (E.g. the ball is over 60" above the ground by the time it leaves the robot’s frame perimeter).

One reason why our team chose to go with a tall shooter was because we were afraid that teams would try to block our shots. If our shooter is at almost the maximum height limit though, we don’t ever have to worry about that since robots trying to block our shots can’t be higher than 60". That being said, making a taller shooter adds more weight. A pick and choose thing.

If you shoot at too much of an angle, lets go to the extreme and say 89 degrees. itll take “forever” to get there, and the shot is very unlikely to get there depending on the conditions of the building you are shooting in.

What’s considered a tall shooter? Our shooter is somewhere around 45-50 inches, im not really sure which side to vote on…
IMO, ~45-50 in. is optimal.

-Duke

Not true. This was our thinking this season but if you design your robot right you can get a low shooter exiting your robot area to clear a tall robot. Our robot has the balls exiting around 30inches from the floor and easily clear a tall robot.

I love short robots. They are very maneuverable and have a smaller chance of tipping. Its the little things that can really give a robot an edge against other competition.

We designed a tall shooter to hopefully prevent our camera from being blocked. No matter what the the angle of your shooter is, if your camera is low enough to be blocked it’s going to be very hard to get an accurate shot. We did try to keep as much of our weight as low as possible.

This is why we designed a tall shooter too; we didn’t want our camera to be blocked.

What about a short shooter with an elevated camera?

This would work too. I guess it just depends on the team and what their design calls for. Our kids decide they like the tall shooter the best.

Short shooters have a lower CoG and are easier to balance on the bridge. We have a short shooter, and our decision had nothing to do with being blocked or being tipped.

In fact, if we are shooting from the key, we figure no team will be silly enough to get close to block our shots without us drawing the foul. Also, if you shoot from the back of the robot, the shot can pretty much clear a 5 foot obstruction unless the shooter is on the ground floor of your robot.

We have a short shooter (24" at the very top, yeah we have a small robot), and our rationale was:

• Less weight-you don’t need to build a huge superstructre on the shooter
  • Lower Center of Gravity-you can cross the barrier and the bridge without tipping over.

Another short shooter here. Our robot is under 3 feet to make sure we won’t flip in the event of a bridge mishap. It made mounting electronics interesting but also cut out a good chunk of aluminum weight. We’re at 119 still so we definitely took advantage of it.

Unless you’re shooting at a low angle I don’t see having a short shooter being a huge factor in competition. Those shooting from the key will ensure anyone close enough to block them takes penalties and those shooting from the fender will need to have no one in front of them to score anyway.

Mid shooter at 48". It allows our camera to be around 42" up, and we never tipped in practice on bumpr or bridge (thanks to a lot of clever placements from yours truly, giant wheels, and a wheelie bar.

~55in because we have a feeding shot (in addition to a key shot) that we don’t want to have blocked in the opposing zone. Still she’s a little tipp-y in wide snake (another unicorn drive this year). We’ll fix that.

Our shooter is ~ 24" and the robot is 39" tall I think. Our plan was that we would have a lower cg for the bump and bridge plus reducing weight. We also figured there wouldn’t be many opposing robots blocking.