TBA now a non-profit; experimenting with donations to community-fund

TL;DR: Consider donating to The Blue Alliance, we’re now an official non-profit, and hoping community donations can cover our operating costs.

The Blue Alliance’s website (thebluealliance.com) helps teams scout for competitions, our apps send real-time notifications at competitions, and our Gameday webcast viewer lets you follow along when you’re not there in person. Our APIs make FRC data access easy, letting people build scouting dashboards in Google Sheets, or do complex data analysis with programming languages like R and Python.

TBA relies on the volunteer effort of people who contribute code, moderate data submissions, and upload match videos and robot photos. Thank you to everyone who has been involved since TBA was started in 2006.

Last year, The Blue Alliance formally became a non-profit organization. This enables us to get discounts on some services that keep the site running, and means that donations to The Blue Alliance are tax deductible. The Blue Alliance does not currently have a corporate advertising sponsor, and this year we’re going to experiment to see if we can pay the sites’ approximately $3,000 per year operating costs (almost entirely Google Cloud Platform) on community donations. If we get to a place where we are receiving much more in donations than our operating costs, we’ll explore hiring a summer intern.

The best donations are monthly contributions, which help us budget for the future.

Donate here

Thanks,
Greg Marra, Eugene Fang, Phil Lopreiato, and Zach Orr

Mod edit: TBA’s EIN is 88-3600243

123 Likes

Very cool news Greg! Congrats to you and the rest of the crew for getting TBA’s non-profit set up.

I just locked in a personal monthly donation, TBA is always my go-to source for FRC team information, not sure what I’d do without it.

Citrus Circuits students have used TBA’s website and API’s over the years for our scouting and strategy systems, I’ll discuss with team leadership about establishing a recurring team donation as well. I encourage other FRC teams that use TBA in their workflows to consider doing similar.

Best,

-Mike

53 Likes

Happy to donate!

I’ve been using TBA since 2007 and its my go to place to learn about all different teams in FRC! I remember back then I’d stay up late just going down the full team list checking out everyone’s matches even if I’d never meet them, that was always super fun.

Plus it’s always fun teaching current kids on 177 that TBA is a product of 177 alumni!

Thanks TBA!

21 Likes

I’ve been using TBA to track my teams at championships, and look up teams’ histories and such for introductory remarks and such at ceremonies at regionals since I lived in Chicago, it’s an incredible resource for me and is very easy to use. Thank you so much for keeping it together!

8 Likes

Hey Greg, congrats on becoming a non-profit! I happily set up a recurring donation yesterday but realized today if I donated via my workplace I could get them to match it. Would your team be willing to register with benevity so myself and others could do this?

19 Likes

This will really help with corporate donations too!

2 Likes

Hey Liam, I just registered us with Benevity. Hopefully that helps with matched donations!

19 Likes

Thank you to everyone who has donated so far. With the donations and recurring donations, I estimate we’ve raised about 25% of the money we’ll need for the site this year. We’ll share more on Facebook in a couple of weeks once we finish our non-profit application over there to do fundraiser drivers directly (I have to go to a physical bank, and am not currently near one :slight_smile: ).

Good luck to everyone through the rest of build!

19 Likes

Hello!! So awesome that you are a non-profit now. As soon as The Blue Alliance pops up on my company’s Benevity site, I’ll be making a donation :). LOVE LOVE LOVE TBA and all the data :slight_smile: You guys do an outstanding job.

4 Likes

Set up my recurring donation as well! Thank you to the TBA team for providing all the value that you do for this community.

2 Likes

I love having such easy access to the data. Thanks guys!

1 Like

I started my monthly donation. I love TheBlueAlliance. Keep up the great work and thanks for providing this service.

1 Like

Seems like its up now. There’s a lot of orgs with “blue alliance” in their names so look for “BLUE ALLIANCE INC” in New York, New York

7 Likes

For those it helps, The Blue Alliance Inc’s EIN is 88-3600243, and we are based in New York, New York, United States.

I’m not able to edit this into the original post here, but I will put it on our /donate page once we set it up.

3 Likes

would love to help the best app on the planet :wink:

3 Likes

That’s great news! I sent a donation, and I’m wondering if Chief Delphi might do the same thing. I would donate!

1 Like

Started my monthly donation. TBA is the best, keep up the great work!

1 Like

Our leadership decided that Citrus Circuits will be establishing a monthly donation to TBA. Other FRC teams should consider doing something similar to help keep this resource available for the community!

Best,

-Mike

40 Likes

Very grateful to Citrus Circuits and everyone else who has donated.

4 Likes

That’s cool. If your team would consider paying a monthly fee for software used for scouting or strategy, consider the immense value of accessing data through TBA for your team. I’d venture that many teams easily get a monthly-subscription’s worth of value from this free community app.

2 Likes