[TBA]: TBA Mobile Beta

One of the things I have personally wanted for a while was a way to look up match listings and team information easily during events. A laptop is kind of a clunky solution, and viewing the full size pages on my phone is awful.

Using a new object-oriented framework that the main TBA site will eventually be ported to, I put together a Mobile version of The Blue Alliance Match Archives. It’s totally still in beta, but I am pretty sure nothing throws errors. Post any rendering issues, display problems, or feature tweak ideas in this thread. I’ll keep iterating on it to make it better, but I wanted to have something out there for this weekend’s regionals. You get a special sneak preview because you read our forums :slight_smile:

Check it out, post bugs, and give feedback.

http://www.thebluealliance.net/m

Sweet!

http://www.thebluealliance.net/m/event.php?eventid=175

No camera icon.
And is that even going to be used on the mobile application?
Just wondering where you were heading with that portion of this on a mobile basis.

http://www.thebluealliance.net/m/team.php?team=237&year=2008

Headers for table info are missing.
(ie: Match Number, Red Alliance, Blue Alliance, Scores, etc…)
(Not to mention my phone is lame and formats the table info something horrible like and wraps things badly… lol but that’s not anything wrong on your end, I just don’t have a wide enough screen on my phone I guess.)

Other than that everything looks pretty nice & streamlined.
Good deal.

On the NASA/VCU page: http://www.thebluealliance.net/m/event.php?eventid=145

Matches 11, 13, and 14 are out of order. The title of the page, “- () - TBA Mobile”, does not seem to be correct…

Another nudge… There was a Finals match 3 at NASA/VCU, but your database appears to be missing that match (both mobile and non-mobile).

I just checked out on my Windows Mobile PDA, and it looks good, except for the issues menitioned above.

Looks ok on iPhone.
I really should write that iPhone app.

Unfortunately

Tom.TimeAvailable() = 0

Looks pretty good on my Treo. The match listings can get a little confusing when they wrap onscreen, but I think that may be unavoidable. Once I find my SD card, I’ll try downloading the video and see how that works.

The video from BAE (mp4) work without an issue with the iPhone. Just click and watch.

Re-ran the week two scraper, this added the match. It wasn’t originally on FIRSTs result page, I guess.

Rolling in these other fixes…

[EDIT] Ok, I think I’ve hit almost everything else

I’ve removed this descriptive text. Do you want mobile access to photos? It’d be pretty easy to toss in.

I intentionally left the headers out, since its not a “Table” anymore, just a bunch of text. Mobile phones don’t really like tables. Do I need a header to explain it? I think I am going to make it all be color coded for red-blue.

Fixed both the match sorting issue and the title naming issue.

Re-ran the week 2 scraper. Finals 3 exists now. This wasn’t picked up due to a problem I fixed during Week 3, but the Week 2 stuff never ran again. Fixed.

I’ve added robot photos to team pages for teams that have robot photos. Little (under 15kb) thumbnails can be clicked on to get to full size (640x480 max) photos.

I also changed the default event list page to display a proper title.

Is anyone using this in the field this week?

i’ll be testing this out on my HTC TyTN later this week, along with my Blackberry 8800 and Samsung a437. i’ll let you guys know the results later this week from the phones

any other phones you guys need me to test this on, i work for ATT so i have A LOT of access to various different phones.

Right now it’s just naked HTML, so I expect it will work pretty well from every phone. I think particularly focusing on trying it from different browsers would be key, but also definitely give feedback on the interface and what needs changing.

Thanks!

the only thing i noticed was the issue reading the matches/teams/scores on a Nokia N75.

I think if you guys leave a blank line bewteen each match, it would free up some of the clutter

also someone suggested adding color to the page, having red alliance colored red and blue colored blue, with bold if they won.

I like the very basic layout of the mobile website, but im pretty sure a lot of us have smatphones now so idk if you guys might want to change it a bit.

i went to the origional tba website from my TyTN earlier toay and i noticed some of the team numbers and stuff were cut off from the tables, i thik this was due to the amount of spacing you guys gave in realtion to the page size on a desktop: just wondering how you guys did those tables…

1.5 spacing could be a good idea.

also someone suggested adding color to the page, having red alliance colored red and blue colored blue, with bold if they won.

On my ‘todo’ list.

went to the origional tba website from my TyTN earlier toay and i noticed some of the team numbers and stuff were cut off from the tables, i thik this was due to the amount of spacing you guys gave in realtion to the page size on a desktop: just wondering how you guys did those tables…

Can you explain this more? I don’t know what you mean entirely. Also, what exactly do you want to know about the tables?

i’ll post pics up about the tables probably Wednesday, considering thats the only real day i got off…

I have one suggestion after using this for a while now.

The info that says something to the effect of

Team ### was (10-6-0) at the Xxxx Regional in 2008. They were (8-3-0) in qualifications and (2-3-0) in elimination matches.

It would be nice to see that info right above (or right below) the name of the regional on the mobile application, as well as an overall one for the whole year.
I was looking for info on certain teams at many times, and realized that it wasn’t in the mobile application as it was in the full version on the website.