Team 1038: Where are you??

I watched the regionals via NASA broadcast and saw that team 1038 won. Congratulations on a spectacular animation!

and on that note…what did it look like? heh, I havent seen team 1038s…has anyone else or can anyone send it to me? Thanks! (Juss curious to see what else is out there and winning)

*Originally posted by Specialagentjim *
**I watched the regionals via NASA broadcast and saw that team 1038 won. Congratulations on a spectacular animation!

and on that note…what did it look like? heh, I havent seen team 1038s…has anyone else or can anyone send it to me? Thanks! (Juss curious to see what else is out there and winning) **

I have a question.
Why was MOE’s animation at Buckeye but not Rage Robotics (who were pretty enraged about it)?
I thinking 1038’s was the cel shaded one with the jets.
MOE’s was the weirdest animation I had ever laid my eyes on!

:smiley: i tried to get them to put me name all over it “kathryn mitzka” but they wouldnt. thansk for the compliment! i never realized how good it was till it actually won an award hahahaha oops :eek:

Yes, our animation was the cel-shaded one with the jets. I’d love to get a copy posted but unfortunately the only copies we have right now are way too large to upload into our webspace. I’ll have a chat with the animation team to see if we can get something a lot smaller.

how about some screen shots?

*Originally posted by Bryan Faber *
**Yes, our animation was the cel-shaded one with the jets. I’d love to get a copy posted but unfortunately the only copies we have right now are way too large to upload into our webspace. I’ll have a chat with the animation team to see if we can get something a lot smaller. **

We’re struggling to shrink ours down for the web as well. The only way I can see it happening is to render it at a smaller size and re edit it in Premiere (or whatever editing program you use).

Most of us on this forum at least know what divx is…I think if you render to divx and on the same page have the link to download the codec, that ya can probobly do it that way pretty easily…

Here it is!

Very good animation, except its not.

First of all, what the hell is going on? I see random scenes with things exploding and flying all over the place.

Secondly, what kind of message are you trying to portray? That cell shading will get you a winning trophy?

I don’t think this deserves to win, unless the rest were even worse.

1038, your animation does not have a valid story board, and the execution was mediocre at best. Lots of rough “edges”, bad voices. Overall, unless, like DevilKid said you guys were competing with even worse, it doesn’t look like you guys should have gotten a trophy.

so, yeah there’s better ways to tell us things like this. being a rookie team and sitting here readign your replys im pretty much shocked at how brutal someone could be. …“good animation…except it’s not” ? ok, thats not nice at all, i mean c’mon people. i was on machine team so im not exactly sure about the animation but i have to say it must have won for a reason. its not like we payed money for us to win. im sorry that you guys feel it blew but gosh…stop putting us down

Alright, first of all like Kathryn said, lets not be brutal. First of all, our animation does have a valid storyboard. I don’t know where you got the idea that it didn’t. Secondly, as this is our rookie year, our animation team had to learn everything from scratch. While fooling around with 3DSM the team was working with some cel-shaded thigns and decided to use them in the animation. We never expected that we were going to win the award in our first year. This was a learning experience for the team and they’re already planning things out for next year. The animation that I uploaded was definately not high quality. The resolution was cut down to make the animation as small as possible. I figured that since everyone was eager to watch our animation, taking the time to download a 250meg file wouldn’t be practical for us to upload or anyone to download. And finally, the animations are judged by our peers in FIRST. If you don’t think that we deserved to win then that is your opinion, but lots of teams did believe that we deserved it and thats how the votes turned out.

Very nice animation…i like the cell shading…
Dont let them get you guys down our team really liked your animation, we thought ours was a pretty good one and our animation advisor told me that he thought your was the only one that would have beaten us and it did so woohoo go 1038…

You guys rock!

Im sorry but this is the best way I can put this in. I realized, from reading a certain post, that winning these regionals is anything but fair. So you could’ve won for any reason.

yeah… not very cool guys
there’s nothing wrong with a little constructive criticism, but I guess for whatever reason you feel you need to insult us instead? How immature is that?

oh, and as much as i hate overused words, this one sums it up - gracious professionalism (try it sometime)

Whow. Its amazing how quickly and easily people get offended and try to defend themselves. I think you have to realize that this is the real world and there will always be people who don’t like something of yours, and you have to deal with it.

I personally agree with Devil’s Kid in that the animation didn’t seem to have anything to do with “What F.I.R.S.T means to you”, and that is wasn’t as well crafted as some of the other ones. I kind of feel sorry for the other teams which i thought did a better job, but, oh well, life’s a b**ch, and that’s how its always going to be.

All i can say is team 1038, enjoy your win, and when the same thing happens to you, you’ll know how the other teams felt.

But thats just my opinion. Have fun getting angry at what I said, and say I am mean, or whatever you want.

you all just need to chill out.

Constructive criticism is fine but you guys were just attacking them… so they felt the need to defend themselves.

The animation was nice, alot of animations in cleveland were not nice. Thus it won.

They won and there is nothing that anyone can do and no reason to keep argueing about this.

I personaly liked it and thought it was funny

*Originally posted by TheFork *
All i can say is team 1038, enjoy your win, and when the same thing happens to you, you’ll know how the other teams felt.

I don’t know if you even care, seeing how bitter your outlook on everything is, but something similar actually did happen to us. We felt we had an awesome robot, which I challenge anyone to prove wrong, but did we make it in the top 8? No. Did we get picked for the tournament? No. And, Fork, did we bash the robots that made it? No. Instead we cheered them on, and were happy for them. This has happened to me 2 years in a row now, and I believe it makes you a much better person if you can look past all that. Maybe you don’t realize it, but FIRST is not about winning awards, it’s about learning and advancing the human culture, which is not being helped in any way by constant bickering. Don’t get me wrong here, I’m not trying to retaliate, I’m simply trying to give you another outlook and help you see the bigger picture here.

Lets please not start a flamewar, it’s definately not needed.

Feel free to express your opinions, but don’t just bash something because you don’t like it. We had no control over the awards given out at the regionals. Like I said, it was a highly unexpected surprise.

enough. some people dont like our animation,
some people did (thanks for the support boilers!).

who cares if we won…honeslty. who cares about winning. this is my first year of robotics and my outlook is like: i come for the learning, i come for the fun, i come to meet new people and expericence new things

some of you may take winning seriously but if i was the leader of the aniation team, id be proud right now. and ifpeople disliked my animation that much…i’d most likely mail that team an award. i dont know but i have a feeling this will never end.

thanks for the support to everyone and thanks for the criticism. this will all help us for next years animation