Team #108 : SigmaC@T Animation Final

YAI!!! We’re done!

Here’s the tentative (sp?) animation!

A lil lower class version (kinda laggy, but a lot smaller)
http://payfoo.com/animation.htm

- anndddddd -

The Higher res / higher quality downloadable DivX version (I <3 DivX)
http://payfoo.com/FinalWoutcreidts.avi

Please keep in mind that this is running off of my home dsl, so dont expect speeds to be fast…be patient…and of course send me some feedback! post it here or IM me (s/n’s in the sig).

…btw…these were all rendered using targas! lol…

Something is wrong with the links.

sorry, rebooted server.

Btw, i’d recommand a right click> save as… for the divx version

Chugging along at 5.2k

The first link gave me only swirling colors of sound.

*Originally posted by Gadget470 *
**Chugging along at 5.2k

The first link gave me only swirling colors of sound. **

Well at least you got colors. I got pitch blackness.:frowning:

sorry about this everybody. I had DirecTV dsl, they went outta business so now i gotta new one. PLUS im using a beta version of windows .NET server. So yeah, fun fun! As soon as I find some decent webspace to upload to, you will all be the first to know.

Well, his server just rebooted. So I guess I don’t get to see it. :frowning:

OH YEA 108 OWNZ ALL OF YOU !!! ( All your animation belong to us) Jim hasnt slept in about 3 weeks cause he has been workin on this so if he doesnt post for a couple of days he is dead from sleep deprivation or just asleep :wink:

\/ Peace Out \/
                      -The Hammer-

If you do not have the divx codec installed you may need to install it to view the files above(may explain your blackness or swirling colors)

search for divx 3.1 on google.

*Originally posted by samh57 *
**If you do not have the divx codec installed you may need to install it to view the files above(may explain your blackness or swirling colors)

search for divx 3.1 on google. **

lol, duhhh, thanks for pointing out my lack of informaiton, lol. yeah, its divx 5.02, downloadable off of http://www.divx.com

Okay, I must look like quite the unprepared idiot by now, SOOOOOO in the spirit of gracious professionalism (and just being really nice!) samh57 has offered to help me out by compressing it and putting it up on his high-bandwitdth site! THANK YOU SAMH57!!!

So, in otherwords, STAND BY! ITS A COMIN!

Im also going to attempt to get it up on dillardhigh.com’s site. Then we’ll have two high-speed mirrors (and I’ll actualyl be able to surf the forums again at a decent speed!)

THANKS AGAIN ALL!

Here is the newly compressed team 108 animation (5.84 megs) in Divx format:

Mirror 1 (Please try and use this link)

Mirror 2 (Please try to use mirror 1 if at all possible)

Be sure to download the divx codec (divx 5.02) from http://www.divx.com if this file will not play for you!

not bad…your raytracing skills as well as as all your materialing skills rock!

Nice! The spaceship materials are really good. My little suggestion is that if you have some time (there are still about 2 days remaining) - fix the control board texturing at the end, and add some wires. If you are really our of time, just a flat box with a photo of your team’s robot’s control board will probably do. The camera approaches it at a straight angle, so there would be almost no distortion visible. But otherwise, good job!

//edit: small comment on the general storyboard - i really hope FIRST will throw away the robot controllers it uses right now…

Solid work. The production design and technical execution are top notch!

Thats pretty awesome Jim. The pillness level has gone down quite a bit :-P. The raytracing is great, but as Lev said, the control board at the end may need some work.

One thing that I do wonder about is the music.

In the background you have The Crystal Method’s ‘High Roller’ from their Vegas album. This is copyrighted music and I was just wondering how you got permission to use it and what was the process?

Yeah, the control board could be a lot better. I had originally intended to wire the whole thing up with the spikes, batteries, and auto fuse and everything…where did the time go?

And as far as the crystal method goes, They’ve been pretty leniant in the past. We chopped this up so its not EXACTLY the same, so we’re juss kinda going with that…we know we’re proboly not going to be winning much this year, so I’m not terribly concerned by it.

Oh, and thanks! The pills look a lil better with a japanese flag on their sides, lol

One of my teachers took a film course and said that any copyrighted material is safe to use as long as the chunk is 30 seconds or less. I am not sure he is coprrect but it seems reasonable. In other words, you may use no more than 30 seconds of the Crystal Method song without asking permission. Do a Google search to verify this fact if you want to.

as far as the crystal method goes, They’ve been pretty leniant in the past

This is a really wrong way to look at the rules. So what, if they don’t catch you, its alright to break the rules?

any copyrighted material is safe to use as long as the chunk is 30 seconds or less

This doesn’t really matter, even if it is legally correct to use 30 second chunks, you are missing part of the rules wording:

The authorized signatory for the Entrant is over 18 years old and either owns the copyright to the material in
these files, or has the right to grant this consent on behalf of the owner, or knows that the material in these
files is in the public domain.

Crystal Method’s music is not in public domain, you don’t own the copyright, and they did not authorize you to give it away, so by signing it, you would be telling a lie.

We chopped this up so its not EXACTLY the same

This does not mean that they dont have the copyright to it anymore. You cannot claim copyright even to a modified work, unless you have the original author’s consent.

You still have 2 days left - thats enough time to change the music, and i think it would be fair if you do.

Yes, I agree with you ENTIERLY Lev but the problem is I have no audio skills whatsoever. I am NOT encouraging my actions on any other team. Please, do not follow my audio leads (but do follow my video leads, [render to targas] ). If I can I will change the music. However, my team has just informed that the animaiton needs some updating so I’ll have to go back in and try and fix some stuff…erggg…oh well, that’s what it takes, then thats what it takes.

I’ve always stayed outta the audio debates and I shouldn’t have even posted what I did, simply because I dont know the proper laws. Ive heard the 30 seconds rule many times, but haven’t trusted it at all. Ill go on the law sites and maybe through my dad’s books and see what the law says, but I doubt I’ll be able to find an exact ruling…

So more or less, to all other teams: Please use non-copyrighted music if you can. It’s just easier rule-wise and you have less fear of a DQ. DQ’s are bad…very bad…lol…

If anyone has any non-copyrighted music suggestions, Im wide open to ideas! (Please also keep in mind, not ALL of us have fruity loops or acid…)