Team 116 Animation Entry

:smiley: Team 116 is proud to announce that their animation is complete and shipped. :smiley:

After seven weeks (and God knows how many cans of Mountain Dew) our work has paid off. Animators Lev Popov, Steven Cohen, and Larrissa Deaton wish to thank all of the members of these forums for their support and help.

Instead of posting the animation and still frames all at once, we will be “releasing” a still frame each day for the next week. Next Thursday the final high quality animation will be posted on ImageStation .

Unfortunately in order to view pictures and videos on ImageStation, you must be a member. Membership is free. To sign up click here.

Once a member you can view our animation album at this site.

Head on over to our album right now! There are already two frames online!

Thanks all of you (especially Sunny who told us about ImageStation)!

• The Team 116 Animators

No thank you for sharing your animation with us. I hope some other people like ImageStation as much as I do.

One more thing, you don’t have to be a member to see the pics if you give direct links. Like right click on the image, go to properties, and then copy that url. I like doing that when you need to show lots of people the image without going through the hassel. Also, media rich sites can use it to offset bandwith.

from what I see…you images are really photo-realistic. It looks really good and it seems like you did a great job.

As promised, another image had been uploaded to the ImageStation album. You can see it there, or just follow the direct links below (thanks to Sunny for the suggestion).

Today’s screenshot: http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid52/pcb3ac33b4c4ed1d56b2076187470fb1b/fc9bcbf0.jpg.orig.jpg

Wednesday pictures:

Picture #1 http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid52/pa6254022940a97f3a26ea62945885db7/fc9cfbff.jpg.orig.jpg
Picture #2: http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid52/p8ab9a48eb35428d1aed833d3d7eb61f2/fc9cf876.jpg.orig.jpg

//edit: it seems that just clicking on the link doesnt work - try copying and pasting it into browser address line.

how did you guys get a such a good animation team this year,
i mean you guys put up a fantastic work, that might be a winner this year.
I really don’t get it, cuz your last year’s animation was just a piece of a
sh%t.

Dude Gun, that was the least cool thing I have ever heard anyone say. Team 116 is an awesome team and they deserve more respect than that.

Hey, i never said that team 116 isn’t awesome, i am pretty sure that
it’s a fantastic team, i was just really curious about the the whole thing
between animation from last year and this year. No mean to disrespectful,
just straight curiousity.

I know that you were giving them a compliment, next time just try not to tell them how bad thier previous years entries were compared to this year.

also, a % doesn’t make you not cursing.

“No mean to disrespectful” … calling their past work that isn’t disrespectful? If I were to have worked as hard as 116 on something and had it called that, I think I would take offense.

It would have been better to say " The quality of your work has improved greatly." than to say " Your previous animation is crap." We understand the point you are making but you should be mindful to keep your critcism productive so they can focus on the criticism and not on the insult.

how did you guys get a such a good animation team this year,

You might be surprised, but for 2 out of 3 people in our group this was a first year of robotics. When they came this fall, they knew next to nothing about 3d animation. I was the only person doing this for a second year, and last year, NO ONE from our group had ANY experience with 3d software. Considering how much we had to learn, i believe our last years animation was a success. We looked at mistakes we did last year, and tried to avoid them this time. There is no magic to making a good animation, it all comes from experience.

I take that as a compliment, even if it might not have come out the way you meant.

*Originally posted by Lev *
**You might be surprised, but for 2 out of 3 people in our group this was a first year of robotics. When they came this fall, they knew next to nothing about 3d animation. I was the only person doing this for a second year, and last year, NO ONE from our group had ANY experience with 3d software. Considering how much we had to learn, i believe our last years animation was a success. We looked at mistakes we did last year, and tried to avoid them this time. There is no magic to making a good animation, it all comes from experience. **

Well said, Lev! And we were all proud of the job you did last year! No, it wasn’t as good as the animations from the winning teams, but the amount of effort you put into it alone made it a winner to us! And what you taught yourself is amazing!

Steve, Lev, Larissa, you are the tops!

MissInformation

<============>
Make the most of yourself, for that is all there is of you. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

*Originally posted by MissInformation *
**Well said, Lev! And we were all proud of the job you did last year! No, it wasn’t as good as the animations from the winning teams, but the amount of effort you put into it alone made it a winner to us! And what you taught yourself is amazing!

This is why I wish FIRST would make a better showcase for ball of the animations not just the award winners. It takes alot of work to make these and just because they don’t have the polish of the award winners doesn’t mean they don’t deserve to be seen at the Championship neither. I don’t understand why FIRST doesn’t make a multimedia area to show off the animations, Chairmans awards and the Websites so everybody can see the hard work these people did.
FIRST is always talking about it’s not just about the robot but they are just about the only thing on display at the competitons.**

Today’s picture is now up!

The link is: http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid52/p7819bb81027f7d7440b425594b8c25e8/fc9ae5f9.jpg.orig.jpg

(Right click, copy shortcut, ctrl-v into address bar)

Thanks a lot.

-Steve

Great images!

Is that a 12 pass effect for motion blur? Did you use global illumination? Can’t wait to see the whole animation.

-Brandon

Thanks for the comments

Is that a 12 pass effect for motion blur?

I’m sorry, but you kept me laughing for quite some time… If we did the 12-pass effect, we would be still rendering the first scene now… Thats just a “cheap” image motion blur effect (you can get it by changing settings in object properties). But you are right about global illumination - we rendered the scene with a lowered quality light-traced skylights. We were quite limited with the effects we could do, since we only had 2 machines to do the rendering… (originally we wanted global illumination, DOF, multi-pass motion blur… all the nice stuff… but we had only resources for illumination at the end.)

oh yeah,
i am the animation manager this year, and last year we had two
other seniors on the team. After the graduation i was the only one
who knew how to use the MAX. Cuz i had to make a team i recruited
7 ppl who didn’t know anything too. I just told them to brainstorm for
the storyboard, but it didn’t help much. I wanted to make use out of them
in next year’s competition so i just told them to do the tutorials at home.
99% of this year’s animation was all done by me.

Amazing! What realism you have in your animation!

How did your team make objects so realistic? Where there a lot of UVW mapping? Or was it purely just fiddling with the material editor?

For instance, did you map the hammer (with pictures from a real hammer) and then bump map it? And how did you do the textures on the red tool chest?

I have to say again, those screenshots are amazing! I can’t wait to see your whole animation!