Team 1551 Unveil Video

Enjoy! :slight_smile:

Some specifications:

119.5 lbs (phew!)
Octocanum drive, pneumatic-actuated ~15 fps mecanum/~3fps-very-pushy
Fast ball intake (FP with pneumatic actuation), fast enough conveyor (550)
Shooter is two am9012’s, PID-controlled with kit encoders
FP gearbox bridge manipulator
Camera-assisted aim

We can go over the barrier or the bridge, and use the high-traction, slower wheels to aid in balancing. (We can also turn sideways and drop the traction wheels to allow other robot(s) to more easily balance with us.)

Amazing looking robot Pat! I wish I’d gotten a chance to see it at Rally. Sadly, I’m going to have to wait until FLR to see this thing in action! From what I’ve seen, yours is going to be one of the most mobile on the field.

Okay, so I’ve got to ask, or I’m going to explode. Can I ask your thoughts on Octocanum? I love the Octocanum drive. I love the idea of being able to switch between maneuverability and traction. But it’s sadly one of the few I’ve never seen in person (prior to seeing it briefly at Rally, at least). Do you like how it came out? Was the extra effort and complexity (compared to a “standard” skid steer system) worth what Octocanum brings to the table? I hope you don’t mind my asking.

Inquiring minds want to know!

Anyhoo, great robot Pat! I can easily see 1551 going the distance again this year, just like you guys did in 2010.

Good luck, and I’ll see you at Finger Lakes!
-Leeland

We like it a lot, though the trade-off of expense and weight is pretty monstrous – it’s not something we’d have done without having prototyped a similar design in the off season.

It allowed us some modularity in design – if we ended up a dunkerbot, the ability to manhandle defenders out of the way and/or not be easily pushed was important. As a shooterbot, the high maneuverability (spin on a dime, strafe) allowed us to forgo a turret… It didn’t take a whole lot of modification to be able to cross the barrier, and the two drives each have their own advantages when balancing a bridge.

Overall, I’d say I’m very optimistic that the drive will perform very well for us this competition season.

Sounds awesome! I can’t wait to see it on the field.

You can bet I’ll be asking you with more questions at Finger Lakes :wink: So many things to ask!!

Good luck, and see you at FLR :slight_smile:
-Leeland