Team 1625 8 Wheel Drive Prototype

This is the 8 wheel prototype team 1625 has been working on for the past few weeks. One wheel is driven straight off of the gearbox, and chains run from the sprockets on that axle to the other wheel assemblies on that side, as pictured above. The wheel assemblies are half inch steel axles with two 21 tooth sprockets welded to them and a 3" colson pressed on the end. They slide through two bearings in the frame tube and have a snap ring on the back side. The chains are currently just tensioned by the proper center to center distance, but on the next iteration we plan to use bigger wheels to allow for ground clearance with idler sprocket tensioners. There is also an extended section of the gearbox shaft to allow for easy encoder mounting.

Specifications:
3/16" Center Wheel Drop
13.5 Feet Per Second Calculated Speed
Single Speed Gearbox
41 Pounds With Electronics
3" by 7/8" Colson Wheels

I like it! Simple and clean looking! Those 3 inch colsons look awesome pressed on with the gears!

-Dave

Elegant. I imagine it handles well.

How did you cross-brace the frame?

Those chains look too close to the ground for comfort. But cool bot anyway!

I agree, especially since only two wheels are truly driven. Having 75% of the drive train without direct connection to the transmission would make me a bit queasy, but then again, I’m not Winnovative.
I love those gearboxes.

I really like what you guys did with the one piece axle/colson hub/sprocket. How much does the entire shaft assembly weigh without the wheel?

Very nice.

What is the final ratio to the wheels? (nvmd somehow missed your little follow up underneath the pictures)

I cant quite tell from the picture, #25 or #35 chain? Follow up question- tensioning?

Looks slick!

-Brando

I feel like we talked to Aren and Foss about the single piece assembly a few weeks ago :wink:

It’s obviously the two pieces of plywood that are zip tied on.:wink:

Between seeing a lot of 35 lately and knowing typical winnovation, I’m 99% sure its #25.

As for tensioning,

The chains are currently just tensioned by the proper center to center distance, but on the next iteration we plan to use bigger wheels to allow for ground clearance with idler sprocket tensioners.

Its pretty easy to miss the text under the pretty pictures. :slight_smile:

That wiring sure is a thing of beauty… lololololol:) :slight_smile:

It looks like it would be a bit of a pain to service, with all the wires going in and out of holes and tubes and things. It looks nice, but it seems like too much trouble for not enough gain.

on the contrary my dear friend, you have yet to see the bottom, plus I had labeled them all ect. ect. it was a very meticulous process… PLUS do it right the first time… you won’t have to service it :slight_smile:

The frame is cross braced by two welded 2X1 tubes. They’re about 6 inches in from either side, but we probably plan on changing that depending upon the game.

Thanks! We thought that would be a nice way to make it simpler all around. According to the CAD, the it weighs about .3 pounds.

Thank you! We used #25 chain, and it seems to work out well. The middle chain runs are a little bit less tensioned than we would like, but we plan on fixing that when we add the bigger wheels. Even though it is a little bit loose it still has never fallen off.

You might want to press some freshmen into duty sweeping up your practice field carpet. Looks like some of the offal is the kind you don’t want being kicked up into an exposed sidecar.

Nice prototype, by the way. :slight_smile:

Reported

How does it turn? Is it able to overcome the friction?

Fairly positive 1625 knows how to make a drivebase that can turn. The wheels aren’t on the same level.

Interesting gearboxes… Also, I absolutely love the wiring, great job with that!