Team 1736 2019 Robot Reveal

Hey all! Robot Casserole is proud to present our 2019 robot!

Looking forward to seeing all at Midwest and CIR!!!

7 Likes

The inspectors and ref’s of CD may know better but I’m worried your climber violates
G21. Keep it together. ROBOTS may not intentionally detach or leave parts on the FIELD. and
R4. ROBOTS may not extend more than 30 in. (~76 cm) beyond their FRAME PERIMETER

But other than that great video!

2 Likes

I’ll see if we can get some close-ups of the way it’s rigged up. At no point does it physically detatch from the robot, and remains constrained within the 30" bounds (even if you yank on it in the worst case scenario, though it is close).

How does it get held on by the robot? And how does it catch when it climbs up? Im curious now :stuck_out_tongue:

There are small metal rails that run the length of the ramp which you can see here @ 1:07:

image .

These attach through a sliding mechanism to corresponding rails on the back & underside of the robot. As the robot goes up the two slide over each other till it hits the back limit, and pulls the ramp up to level 3 with the bot.

Once the ramp is deployed how is it attached?

Edited my post a bit. The robot-side rails go slightly up the back of the robot, such that the climber never detaches.

The attachment between the rails is at all times just a small loop of metal, one on each side.

From what I’ve seen it looks like a significant judgment call by the Head Ref during matches and LRI at the event. What I recommend to make it less of a judgment call is to make the attachment point more pronounced, so it doesn’t look like you are at de-attaching. If anything goes wrong and it does de-attach the violation is a RED Card.

Sorry if I’m coming off as a pain, I want to make sure you guys are all set.

Good luck this weekend I’ll be sure to watch out for you guys!

This is the part Im worried about:
51%20PM

1 Like

No Prob, and thank you for the concern! I do agree, the video makes it look detached, but I’m quite sure we never release it :). I’ll chat with the mentors tonight, I think I can whip up a better picture soon (if not tonight then later this week).

1 Like

Knowing you, I’m sure that arm is automated. We are running a button board powered by an Arduino to snap our arm to positions. For a control system we are using a Motion Magic loop with a cosine feedforward value. How are you controlling it, and what are you using for a control system?

Amazing bot! I like the idea of the drop and pick up ramp!

1 Like

That ramp is awesome!

I think as long as you can demonstrate to the inspectors that the ramp is constrained such that it can never violate the 30" extension, then you should be good to go.

To be proactive, it might be worth pulling in the LRI during this test, and/or chatting with the head ref to make sure all are clear that it’s been checked and can’t break the rule.

You may have an issue here as the bumpers are outside of the HAB zone but you’re extending outside of the bumper zone.

2 Likes

This was my initial thought as well watching. Love the creativity but I’m afraid that its not legal per the bumper zone rules.

Super cool climb. Can not wait to see it. Great work

1 Like

That hatch mechanism is very cool. Looking forward to seeing this robot in action.

Are those harbor freight pneumatic wheels? Or red MBS tires?

I wonder how R25 applies here.

Except as allowed per G23, BUMPERS must be located entirely within the BUMPER ZONE, which is the volume contained between the floor and a virtual horizontal plane 7½ in. (~19 cm) above the floor in reference to the ROBOT standing normally on a flat floor. BUMPERS do not have to be parallel to the floor.

Bluebox:

This measurement is intended to be made as if the ROBOT is resting on a flat floor
(without changing the ROBOT configuration), not relative to the height of the ROBOT
from the FIELD carpet. Examples include:
Example 1: A ROBOT that is at an angle while navigating the FIELD has its BUMPERS
outside the BUMPER ZONE. If this ROBOT were virtually transposed onto a flat floor,
and its BUMPERS are in the BUMPER ZONE, it meets the requirements of R25.
Example 2: A ROBOT outside its HAB ZONE deploys a MECHANISM which lifts the
BUMPERS outside the BUMPER ZONE (when virtually transposed onto a flat floor). This
violates R25

Could “resting on a flat floor” be interpreted as “after the robot comes to rest”?

$8 harbor freight special!

Yep, Harbor Freight wheels. They worked well for us in the past so we decided that with the hard bounces to/from level 2 they would be a good choice again. They’re cheap and easily available which is nice, but they aren’t a very standard size (~8.75") and the hubs obviously aren’t made for FIRST.