Team 179's Swamp Thing

Hi,

I just wanted to post our status to see what people thought of this crazy thing. We have a little left to do but for the most part we’re ready to go. We’ve been driving for almost 2 weeks now. BTW Thanks to FIRST for a great kit of parts this year. They’ve brought quality to every team right where it matters most (those transmitions and motor mounts are fantastic). They made life sooooo much easier! I also want to give a big thanks to all the kids this year who really put in an outstanding effort. Just think folks, this rush will all be over in 10 more days (I think)… whew…
So anyhow I’m going to attempt to post pics of it (I’m not good at this forum posting stuff) so wish me luck…

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/pictures.php?s=&action=single&picid=3683

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/pictures.php?s=&action=single&picid=3682

I’ve also got 3 cool videos I want to post. They’re handy as far as seeing the results of a “low blow” to the tall stacks. I’m going to attempt a link to those on my webspace next…

Go FIRST!

What are you going to do if your alliance mate can’t go under the bar? What about if your opponent can? (i.e. take a smack while you are rolling over the wall?

Other than those two questions, steller, stellar, bot.

wow.

Cool Robot,

I have just one question, how long does it take for you to get over the ramp and start moving?

Our kickstand is off the ground at 1.2 seconds, so if the opponent tried to ram us he’d have to be seriously fast. we’re over the wall and flat on the ramp at 2.2 seconds. Then it takes about 1.5 - 2 seconds to make contact with the bins. Also we can do a 180 in about 1 second, so they can’t sneek up on us.
Our theory on the alliance is to give them the ramp and we hold off the opponent. But if needed we can push on through to our side of the field to let them buy, or get a little sideways. It’s really more of a finals type idea that’s intended to block the opponent from any points other than human bins. If we’re successfull we’ll probably score low all day but hopefully get picked in the finals. I think we’ll be a great ally for an “under the bar stacker”. We’ve tried it out on our 2001 bot and it seems the wedge shape is going to be difficult to get by. It really holds the hdpe well (we can push the students off the hdpe in a manual pushing match). And it really holds strong on the grating. Theres 6 wheels down the length of it, so its got traction all the way and it’s not lanky at all. It’s very short and stout with a fairly steep angle if you should try to go over it.

Just one quick question. If a team happens to be fast enough to hit you before you go over the ramp adn your robot falls on its side, would you be able to move your robot in that position or would you be dead in the water?

Cool, I got the links up, here’s some neat vids:

Sorry I had to take those down, my “Bandwidth limit was exceeded” :aah:

Heh, yah we can flail a bit. We’re also contemplating another gizmo for deployment straight out on the field to go after human bins. Dunno if you can see those 6 wheels stick out the back and we can run on thos kinda to, but not smoth, not intended. Also thinking about a wheelie bar. But we’re hovering at 130lbs right now so we gotta limit our options.

Thats crazy, and to think I didnt believe Matt :stuck_out_tongue:

Greg

Excellent robot. I think that its a really cool and innovative take on how to be a ramp blocker. Good luck.

Where is your light?

Is is always upright?

This could be an issue if FIRST keeps to the current rules.

Joe J.

P.S. very cool robot. Bold plan. You may just end up being the team everyone is puzzling over, trying to figure a plan to beat you.

actually, 810’s bot can probably get around this pretty easily :).

two questions though.

1. What if you’re spun and pushed half onto the wiremesh?

2. What if your partner can’t go under the bar?

*Originally posted by Ian W. *
**2) What if your partner can’t go under the bar? **

A second bridge-blocker would be a lot more dangerous than you think. A 10-foot+ wide robot with massive torque could have a lot of fun with stacks and rouge boxes. If only one opponent can travel under the bar, I’m sure the bridge-blocker could stop them (on carpet rather than HDPE and only a 5 ft area to protect). A 2x Bridge-Blocker alliance is almost invincible (though not incredibly high scoring). :cool:

How much does your robot weigh?

And could you post a video of going over the ramp?

*Originally posted by Ian W. *
1) What if you’re spun and pushed half onto the wiremesh?

it looks like thier wheels can rotate, so they’d be able to correct themselves probably in about 6 seconds, based on that video they have set up showing how easily they can turn up there

I’m glad the only competition we have against them is nats.

Gahhh…

We surrender.

Your starting strategy is exactly the same as ours, but about four times faster and four feet wider. More than that if we don’t hurry up on construction…

With a 10-foot wide bot, your turning must be incredible, but has the width given you any problems with maneuvering on the playing field?

You do realize that the wedge will turn your robot into a ski jump… I envision a bunch of robots cowering in the corner of the field because they can’t push you and they’re afraid to go over you.

You do realize that the wedge will turn your robot into a ski jump… I envision a bunch of robots cowering in the corner of the field because they can’t push you and they’re afraid to go over you.

I was thinking the same thing just use the wedge and run right over them. All though we may end up with a broken bot.

If only one opponent can travel under the bar, I’m sure the bridge-blocker could stop them (on carpet rather than HDPE and only a 5 ft area to protect).

Nope twelve foot area to protect and that would be quite hard for one robot to do. Considering that there are two bars on each side of the arena.

are you sure when you’re going over the lexan you aren’t violating any of the rules about contacting field structures? it looks like you almost latch onto it, and they specifically said you can’t do that in the kickoff.

i’m not sure that’s what you’re doing, but it looks like you are in the (somewhat in the) 2nd and 3rd picture…

*jeremy

Very interesting. Any videos of deployment over the wall we can watch?