Team 190 Pictures

Posted by colleen - T190 at 02/22/2001 12:35 PM EST

Engineer on team #190, Gompei, from Massachusetts Academy of Math and Science and WPI.

Well-- at least of our cart :stuck_out_tongue: But isn’t coooool!!!

We like to keep you in suspense… soon though… very soon… you will see :):slight_smile:

Posted by Patrick Dingle at 02/22/2001 1:22 PM EST

Coach on team #639, Red B^2, from Ithaca High School and Cornell University.

In Reply to: Team 190 Pictures
Posted by colleen - T190 on 02/22/2001 12:35 PM EST:

EVIL goat! evil!

Patrick

: Well-- at least of our cart :stuck_out_tongue: But isn’t coooool!!!

: We like to keep you in suspense… soon though… very soon… you will see :):slight_smile:

Posted by Patrick Dingle at 02/22/2001 1:26 PM EST

Say… why are there no places on the cart to mount wheels??? Usually the Colonel goes to some extent to make sure the robot won’t roll around on the cart…

And why have you ppl been calling it a SpiderGoat?

You ARE up to something.

Patrick

: Well-- at least of our cart :stuck_out_tongue: But isn’t coooool!!!

: We like to keep you in suspense… soon though… very soon… you will see :):slight_smile:

Posted by colleen - T190 at 02/22/2001 3:39 PM EST

Engineer on team #190, Gompei, from Massachusetts Academy of Math and Science and WPI.

In Reply to: Re: Team 190 Pictures
Posted by Patrick Dingle on 02/22/2001 1:26 PM EST:

Don’t worry Pat… that’s just the bottom of the “SuperCart 9000” (as Nate likes to call it). That’s a base for storage space… robot it’s atop the adjustable height table :stuck_out_tongue:

We went nuts… but we didn’t get it pneumatically controlled yet :slight_smile:

Posted by Justin at 02/22/2001 6:31 PM EST

Other on team Blue Lightning Alumni Association from RWU sponsored by FIRST-A-holics Anonymous.

Posted by colleen - T190 on 02/22/2001 3:39 PM EST:

Well At least we now know what 190 has been up to this whole time. Building their cart. Could be this be the reason I’m hearing (completely rumor mill of course) they shipped a less than fully fuctional robot, and an overweight one??? Just a completely random thought. I look forward to seeing “SpiderGoat” (is that what they’re calling it now I lost track after the hampsters?) as much as anyone.

-Justin

Posted by Deej at 02/22/2001 7:11 PM EST

Engineer on team #190, Gompeii, from Mass Academy and WPI.

Posted by Justin on 02/22/2001 6:31 PM EST:

: Well At least we now know what 190 has been up to this whole time. Building their cart. Could be this be the reason I’m hearing (completely rumor mill of course) they shipped a less than fully fuctional robot, and an overweight one??? Just a completely random thought. I look forward to seeing “SpiderGoat” (is that what they’re calling it now I lost track after the hampsters?) as much as anyone.

: -Justin

The Spidergoat was shipped completely functional and amazingly underweight. This year’s bot at Hartford will be a completely new and innovative turn from WPI’s historic stance on the FIRST competition. The Spidergoat has new technologies, and Hampster Power is no hoax. Wait till Hartford, and you’ll see… btw, the spidergoat might possibly be utilizing a special weapon in Long Island and at Nationals, so what you see in Hartford, might not necessarily be what you get come Nationals, see you in less than a week…

Posted by Justin at 02/22/2001 8:59 PM EST

Other on team Blue Lightning Alumni Association from RWU sponsored by FIRST-A-holics Anonymous.

Posted by Deej on 02/22/2001 7:11 PM EST:

: : Well At least we now know what 190 has been up to this whole time. Building their cart. Could be this be the reason I’m hearing (completely rumor mill of course) they shipped a less than fully fuctional robot, and an overweight one??? Just a completely random thought. I look forward to seeing “SpiderGoat” (is that what they’re calling it now I lost track after the hampsters?) as much as anyone.

: : -Justin

: The Spidergoat was shipped completely functional and amazingly underweight. This year’s bot at Hartford will be a completely new and innovative turn from WPI’s historic stance on the FIRST competition. The Spidergoat has new technologies, and Hampster Power is no hoax. Wait till Hartford, and you’ll see… btw, the spidergoat might possibly be utilizing a special weapon in Long Island and at Nationals, so what you see in Hartford, might not necessarily be what you get come Nationals, see you in less than a week…

Posted by Deej at 02/22/2001 9:09 PM EST

In Reply to: The Rehtoric continues. (EOM)
Posted by Justin on 02/22/2001 8:59 PM EST:

Sorry Justin, its just we don’t want to let the cat out of the bag just yet…or hampster, or goat, or spider, or catipilliar, or any furry little animals…“Patience is a virtue”

Posted by Kevin Sevcik at 02/23/2001 9:52 AM EST

Other on team #57, Leopards, from BT Washington and the High School for Engineering Professions and Exxon, Kellog Brown & Root, Powell Electrical.

In Reply to: Re: The Rehtoric continues. (EOM)
Posted by Deej on 02/22/2001 9:09 PM EST:

To quote Dr. Strangelove (sorta of, cause I can’t remember exactly):
“Of course, the whole purpose of a Doomsday device is ruined if you keep it a secret. Why didn’t you tell the world about it?!?”
Russian guy:
“The Premier was waiting until the word conference. You know how he loves surprises”

Posted by Deej at 02/23/2001 2:29 PM EST

In Reply to: Why all the secrecy?
Posted by Kevin Sevcik on 02/23/2001 9:52 AM EST:

Its really not so much secrecy, but rather keep people guessing as to what we actually did this year. We have a great design that was built solidly, and we want to keep this on the dl for a while until just before comp. Although this year is helping everyone else out and holding hands and such, we like to keep a few things to ourselves. Currently we are working on a program/game that will allow you to slide pieces of a picture around to figure out what our bot will look like (sort of like those little picture games you got as a kid where one piece was missing and you slid little blocks around until you saw the pic). So keep checking back for htat…

Posted by Jessica Boucher at 02/23/2001 2:39 PM EST

Student on team #237, Sie-H2O-Bots, from Watertown High School and Eastern Awning Systems & The Siemon Company.

In Reply to: Re: Why all the secrecy?
Posted by Deej on 02/23/2001 2:29 PM EST:

: Its really not so much secrecy, but rather keep people guessing as to what we actually did this year. We have a great design that was built solidly, and we want to keep this on the dl for a while until just before comp.

Its fine to keep it on the dl (many teams did that this year, and thats cool with me), but why all the hype about how wonderful the hampster/goat/spider…thing is, then? If you were keeping it on the dl, then you wouldn’t be talking about it every other post. And, if you want people to guess, its better to not say anything at all. Sure, you may not hear them ask about what your design is, but when you’re not around, you’re the talk of the town. :wink: And thats better exposure. I (personally & honestly) think the secrecy married with hype just aggravates people.

-Jessica B, #237

Posted by Jon - T190 at 02/23/2001 4:57 PM EST

Engineer on team #190, Gompei, from Mass Academy of Math and Science and Worcester Polytechnic Institute.

Posted by Jessica Boucher on 02/23/2001 2:39 PM EST:

We’re not really talking about it in every other post… we’re answering the questions the people want to know.

Posted by Patrick Dingle at 02/23/2001 6:00 PM EST

Posted by Jessica Boucher on 02/23/2001 2:39 PM EST:

I originally asked :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

It’s not their fault. It’s mine.

Patrick

: : Its really not so much secrecy, but rather keep people guessing as to what we actually did this year. We have a great design that was built solidly, and we want to keep this on the dl for a while until just before comp.

: Its fine to keep it on the dl (many teams did that this year, and thats cool with me), but why all the hype about how wonderful the hampster/goat/spider…thing is, then? If you were keeping it on the dl, then you wouldn’t be talking about it every other post. And, if you want people to guess, its better to not say anything at all. Sure, you may not hear them ask about what your design is, but when you’re not around, you’re the talk of the town. :wink: And thats better exposure. I (personally & honestly) think the secrecy married with hype just aggravates people.

: -Jessica B, #237

Posted by Deej at 02/23/2001 6:27 PM EST

Posted by Patrick Dingle on 02/23/2001 6:00 PM EST:

No ones fault what so ever, things just get out of hands sometimes, and if you know the Colonel like we do, and as Pat does, You’d understand where we are coming from…

Posted by Patrick Dingle at 02/22/2001 9:47 PM EST

In Reply to: The Rehtoric continues. (EOM)
Posted by Justin on 02/22/2001 8:59 PM EST:

Team 190 is anything but rhetoric. I managed to get a hold of a certain newspaper arcticle with a picture of the 190 bot. To say the least, I am still in shock, and probably will be for another week.

Patrick

: : : Well At least we now know what 190 has been up to this whole time. Building their cart. Could be this be the reason I’m hearing (completely rumor mill of course) they shipped a less than fully fuctional robot, and an overweight one??? Just a completely random thought. I look forward to seeing “SpiderGoat” (is that what they’re calling it now I lost track after the hampsters?) as much as anyone.

: : : -Justin

: : The Spidergoat was shipped completely functional and amazingly underweight. This year’s bot at Hartford will be a completely new and innovative turn from WPI’s historic stance on the FIRST competition. The Spidergoat has new technologies, and Hampster Power is no hoax. Wait till Hartford, and you’ll see… btw, the spidergoat might possibly be utilizing a special weapon in Long Island and at Nationals, so what you see in Hartford, might not necessarily be what you get come Nationals, see you in less than a week…

Posted by colleen - T190 at 02/22/2001 10:07 PM EST

Posted by Patrick Dingle on 02/22/2001 9:47 PM EST:

Just wait til the entire thing is revealed… :stuck_out_tongue:

The real robot doesn’t have ‘can’t twists’ in it! :slight_smile:

Posted by Deej at 02/23/2001 12:36 AM EST

In Reply to: That’s nothing! :slight_smile:
Posted by colleen - T190 on 02/22/2001 10:07 PM EST:

Its Kant Twists, and the photo from the paper has ken and yours truely, good thing you can’t see the whole bot though, kinda defeats the purpose of the whole secrecy thing

Posted by Jon - T190 at 02/23/2001 3:14 AM EST

Engineer on team #190, Gompei, from Mass Academy of Math and Science and Worcester Polytechnic Institute.

Posted by Patrick Dingle on 02/22/2001 9:47 PM EST:

Damn front page story…
good thing he wasn’t a spy…

a little song, based off our inspiration:

Spider-goat, Spider-goat
Does whatever a spider can
Catch a ball, any size
Catches goals, just like flies

Look out! Here comes the Spider-goat!

Is it strong? Listen, Bud!
It’s got sealed lead acid blood.
Can it swing from a thread?
Take a look overhead.

Hey there, there goes the Spider-goat!

In the chill of the night,
At the scene of a crime
Like a flash of light
It arrives just in time

Spider-goat, Spider-goat
Friendly neighborhood Spider-goat

Wealth and fame, he’s ignored
Action is his reward

To him, life is a great big bang-up
Wherever there’s a hang-up
You’ll find the Spider-goat!

it does more… but i’d hate to spoil the surprise

: Team 190 is anything but rhetoric. I managed to get a hold of a certain newspaper arcticle with a picture of the 190 bot. To say the least, I am still in shock, and probably will be for another week.

: Patrick

Posted by Deej at 02/22/2001 1:49 PM EST

We were thinking of posting one pic a day until regionals of one piece of our robot, and only unveiling the entire bot the night before, what do you think??? And yes, the SpiderGoat can be evil, but not 100% evil, how can hampsters be completely evil?? Wait and find out