Team 2471 2022 Swerve

Here’s Team 2471’s Swerve Module for this year.

The goal for this year was a few things:

First, we wanted to simplify the module. In 2021 we created the Herme’s 2 modules based on our 2020 game module. The module had a few massive failures as well as a few good points. We went to a lamprey encoder(huge mistake) but added some great things like press-fit nuts and falcons. We also were switching to onshape that year, so that was the first major design the team took all the way to manufacturing. Here’s the link to that design and a picture.

This year we’re trying to fix some of those things and go back to being as simple as possible. We’ve kept a majority of it 3D printed with only the shafts and plates being made out of aluminum. We’ve removed the lamprey and gone back to a magnipot. Gone from a nasty 12-24 to hold our drive shaft to a 1/4-20, and adjusted the gear ratio for a hopefully more competitive module. Here are the speed calculations here, as well as a section view.

The biggest thing for this module was the inclusion of skids, which was a hugely important task this year. We love our bottom mounting swerve drives, so adding the module required the wheels go inwards and for the plate size to increase a 1/4 in on each side to allow for mounting. We’ve also made a skidless version and version with aluminum forks, which are accessible in the timeline on the onshape link below.

Here is the bom for what we plan on ordering this year, it’s not currently priced out per module(apologies). The estimated cost is around $350.

Feel free to ask any questions(or point out my catastrophic errors). Huge thanks to all of the swerve designs that have been floating around for some inspiration!

-Cole

13 Likes

That is awesome! Our team has swerve drive motors already, but we are still in the process of playing around with them and trying to code them, so we aren’t sure weather or not we will be able to use them this season. What coding language are you using? Also thank you so much for the onshape design for these motors!

Do have overall dimensions and weight? What are the dimensions from the wheel to the edge of the frame?

Also how wide is the tread on the wheel?

Is the wheel able to drop out without a fork coming off? It looks like the right bearing in the cross-section would run into the fork when you try to hook the wheel rim around the small bevel gear.

What size x-contact bearing are you using?

1 Like

Do you mind elaborating on why the lamprey encoder was a mistake?

1 Like

Swerves are amazing, but if you’re not 100% sure you can do them than I don’t recommend changing over without more prep. We use Kotlin for our coding language, if it’s any help here is our code for the past two years that we just published.

2 Likes

Yeah our team has been using a tank drive setup for the past…idk large number of years…we just recently purchased 4 swerve drives and are testing them out, but I would agree its a challenge, and understand the huge risk of changing over to them without proper knowledge, so not sure that this season will be the one we start using them on our robot. Thanks for the code, I will share it with my team tomorrow! We have also used lab view for coding our robot all of the past years but this year we are attempting the switch to C++, which has also been a challenge, so I don’t think we will be able to add another task of coding swerve drives when when we still have to work on c++. This example code and cad model will definitely come in handy later though so thanks again!!

I love the slot for the axle (spacer) to slide up into position and then be held in place by the through-bolt. Simple, clever and robust.

Hope to see this in action and get to look at this design up close at some point this season.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.