Team 2655 Simple "Touch It and Own It" Hatch Panel Manipulator

Hi everyone,

Our team was featured on this week’s FUNalysis episode (link) where we showed off our “touch it and own it” manipulator, affectionately called “the stabby-grabber” (link).

Yesterday, we installed the stabby-grabber on our 2018 practice bot to let our driver get a feel for picking up the hatch panel from the loading station. Here’s a video of him picking up and installing a hatch:

We plan to release a STEP file of the claw assembly on our website in the next few days. I’ll update this post once we do so.

@Darre @ImAnEngiNERD

Cheers!

28 Likes

This is awesome!

Not sure this quite meets the definition of “Touch it - Own it” given that it still requires a fair amount of alignment to get the piece. That said, this is one of the more effective and simpler hatch panel manipulators I’ve seen, so it’s nice that you posted it for the community. :wink:

12 Likes

Why is it not called the “Stabby Grabby”

3 Likes

Looks more like a baby shark to me.

2 Likes

All names that have been thrown around, not going to lie, although I won’t know whether to laugh or cry if the robot winds up being called baby shark. :joy:

Love that simplicity Juan. We saw this yesterday and wondered how many teams are going to even be capable of keeping up with that. Have you guys decided on any sensors for alignment and automation?

1 Like

Simplicity and elegance is the hallmark of a great design.

1 Like

Our driver got pretty good at lining up to the loading station with some practice, so we’ll probably just rely on drive time to improve cycle time and alignment accuracy.

land shark?

How does it work tho

We did a close-up of how the mechanism works in the Behind the Bumpers segment on FIRST Updates Now which Juan linked above, but essentially the way it works is the claw is held in a “closed” position by a pneumatic piston. The leading edges of the claw have pointed “barbs” with a notch behind them just large enough to securely hold a hatch panel. When the robot drives into the hatch panel, the pneumatic piston gives a little and allows the claw to open enough to clip onto the hatch panel and hold onto it. Then the driver just backs away and pushes it into the scoring location before opening the claw by actuating the pneumatic piston to release it.

Honestly I think your robot is the definition of what an MCC or Everybot team should aim for. Get done early and practice your heart out, maybe tour Einstein on the way…

4 Likes

Clippy, no Slippy?

Is this mechanism able to maintain control of the hatch panel if the robot absorbs impact from another robot?

1 Like

I don’t think a robot absorbs impact per say, but we can maintain control of the hatch when running into a wall.

Have any videos of that?

No, unfortunately.

Thats great!

Native SolidWorks CAD files have been uploaded to the design page on our website (link)!

If this design helped your team, please let me know by filling out this short form, or by sending me a PM!