Ok, so first off…My apologies. We have fallen way behind on posting. We are sort of in a mad scramble to get things done early because of some up coming things, and I dropped the ball on this one.
So week1 was pretty good. I’m not used to the team being this big and especially this young. We had a large turn over last year and our team is mostly freshman. The nice part is that we have a number of kids who participated in FTC in 8th grade, and a few that have been with us through a couple years of FLL also.
During week 1 we split into several groups (this year 3). The groups do research and game analysis and then design a robotic solution to the years challenge. The design teams reached similar ends with slightly different priorities which effected their robot designs.
Brianna’s team focused mainly on shooting and designed a robot similar to the Robonauts 2012 rebound rumble robot with an arm designed for the drawbridge, portcullis, and sally port.
Josephs team decided to go for a buster robot capable of defeating all of the defenses using arms and a catapult for shooting.
Cameron’s team designed a robot around the idea of being a support bot delivering boulders to teams good at shooting, breaking some defenses, and scoring in the low goal on the tower.
All three designs called for the rhino tank tread system.
The community couldn’t decide on any of the designs, so they gave us a list of priorities instead.
- Be able to get through as many defenses as possible, especially the low bar.
1b) Be able to score during autonomous.
- Be able to score boulders in the low goal.
- Be able to score boulders in the high goal
- Scale the tower
I expressed concern that the team would not be able to get the rhino drive train done in time so we decided to build two drive trains, one using pneumatic wheels and a modified kitbot that we had from years past, and the other using the rhino system.
Turned out Andy Mark came through in a big way and the rhino drive train arrived over a week ago.
The robot’s name is duplicity because of all of the different roles it should be able to take on in a match.
Here is a week 2 update a few kids put together…
Week 3 was also pretty productive.
We had a 3 day weekend because of the end of the semester/teacher work day. Today we fired up the electronics for the first time.
This is a picture of it getting worked on on Saturday. I somehow don’t have a picture of everything blinking nicely.
We also tested a shooter prototype today which is included in the video shot today that I will hopefully post tomorrow.
Our welder came in and got a ton of stuff done for the robot and is working on the final shooter which should be done tomorrow! So…I can almost breath.
Again, sorry for not posting more sooner.