Team 3538 Hyperdrive Barrel Racing Teaser

After a long build weekend we wanted to share a little teaser of our testing. Please enjoy with the sound on!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CM_IDyipFnx/

46 Likes

Fastest WCD I’ve seen

3 Likes

sounds like a brushless vacuum?

25 Likes

Sounds suctioney :slight_smile: Those are some pretty sharp turns - can’t wait to see the unmasked version.

4 Likes

WOW! Can’t wait to see it!

2 Likes

I am so excited for this robot.

10 Likes

:slightly_smiling_face:

36 Likes

This is super cool but I hope this goes the same way as the Brabham BT46B and is ruled illegal for future seasons. There’s enough things in FRC for teams to worry about to remain competitive at a high level, and needing to optimize an impeller assembly and rubber skirt to maximize downforce is not something I look forward to needing to work on.

15 Likes

I’m pretty sure it’s already been ruled illegal (at least, in 2020). Still, I’m happy that someone had fun with the idea.

1 Like

Sorry/you’re welcome; depending on how you feel about it.

9 Likes

This might still be legal

1 Like

dirtman was meant to be a purely educational endeavor. Before attempting, a sound understanding of the Bernoulli principle is recommended.

1 Like

Legal at least for the 2021 skills challenges. They did not rule about actual matches, and I’m assuming they wouldn’t since there aren’t going to be any official matches this year. So while I’m inclined to assume that based on the 2020 ruling they wouldn’t allow it in match play in 2022, there really is no way to know for sure. Based on what 3538 is showing it certainly seems to be a major advantage that would be hard to ignore if it is legal in 2022.

3 Likes

In the teaser, does the robot enable to start it’s vacuum before the the “3, 2, 1” call out? I imagine the vacuum takes some time to begin providing an advantage, so does this mean it’s more useful for the HDC and less for the GSC and ANC, since GSC/ANC require the timer to start at robot enable?

Very cool. Those corners look so fun.

-Mike

6 Likes

We may have had the CNC shop vac running while this was being filmed, that could be what you’re hearing. It doesn’t take that long to get cleaning. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

HSC, ANC and GSC are all about the cornering speed. The biggest improvement we’ve found you can do to help with fast and tight cornering is making your robot 5" smaller by removing the bumpers.

8 Likes

a joke or not?

1 Like

/off topic

We probably use too many abbreviations and acronyms in this program.

23 Likes

Wdym? Tsmfc

14 Likes

100% I hope this is never legal again. It’s been fun once.

Yes a joke lol. Getting bumpers done in a timely manner is just really not our strong suit, they are done now however. And good thing since they are required.

5 Likes

Only once?

2 Likes