This year Team 41 RoboWarriors decided to explore various unfamiliar areas of mechanical design of a drivetrain for the First Robotics Competition. The complete inventor model (and all previous versions) are located on GrabCAD (https://grabcad.com/library/team-41-2019-preseason-drivetrain-design-release-1).
- Rivets versus threaded bolts
- Two Speed shifting gearbox
- Inverted two CIM gearbox
- Timing belts instead of chains
- Box Aluminum frame instead of plates with 8020 ribs
- Using the new Tormach PCNC1100
Notes about the Design:
- The gearbox ratios are 15:1 and 6.6:1
- The clear green plate is space allocated for electrical components
- The ball shifter transmission is from Vex Robotics
- Shifting pistons are custom ordered from Bimba
- Timing belts and sprockets are inside the 2"x2" box aluminum (24 tooth HTD sprockets with 655mm length 5mm pitch HTD belts)
- 1/4" rivets are used to assemble box aluminum frame
- All iterations of the gearbox and drivetrain models are included in the upload (there may be a few errors in generating the assembly in earlier models)
- The compressor shown is not actual compressor used
- Actual compressor is a similar size and didn’t have a downloadable 3D model (90C VIAIR Compressor)
- Gearbox in latest drivetrain model is not the latest version. Slight changes had to be made during construction. A new final gearbox model is included in GrabCAD but wasn’t integrated into the drivetrain model.
- Omni-directional wheels may be used in the front, back or both as needed!