Team 535 Robot Pics

Posted by Eric Tarnowski at 2/14/2001 8:44 AM EST

Student on team #535, G-Force, from Huntington North High School and United Technologies Electronic Controls.

The pics of our robot are now up on our website. Click on the link below then click on the robot pics link on the bottom of the page. Being a rookie team, we’d like to know what you think.

Eric Tarnowski

Posted by Rich at 2/14/2001 8:53 AM EST

Engineer on team #334, BTHS Knights, from Brooklyn Tech. HS and Con Ed, SIAC Keyspan.

In Reply to: Team 535 Robot Pics
Posted by Eric Tarnowski on 2/14/2001 8:44 AM EST:

THAT’S-A-NICE-ROBOT!

CONGRADS.

It looks lite? How many pounds?

Posted by Andy Baker at 2/14/2001 9:28 AM EST

Engineer on team #45, TechnoKats, from Kokomo High School and Delphi Automotive Systems.

Eric,

It looks great! You guys look very capable… I’m starting to really appreciate that we loaned you some Victors. We definitely want to be friends with you!

I look forward to seeing G-Force in action on Sunday.

Andy B.

Posted by Joe Johnson at 2/14/2001 10:12 AM EST

Engineer on team #47, Chief Delphi, from Pontiac Central High School and Delphi Automotive Systems.

With your robot done early and your strong capabilities, I’d say you’re Super Rookies!

Wow, great robot.

We’ve regressed to our rookie year this year. As the ship date grows nearer, we get MORE overweight!

We estimated we were 3 lbs over 3 days ago. It is now something like 9.5 lbs!

When I sleep at all, I have bad dreams…

…and miles to go before I sleep.

Joe J.

Posted by Andy Baker at 2/14/2001 10:30 AM EST

Engineer on team #45, TechnoKats, from Kokomo High School and Delphi Automotive Systems.

In Reply to: What kind of rookies ARE you?
Posted by Joe Johnson on 2/14/2001 10:12 AM EST:

Joe,

You’re not fooin’ anybody.

This reminds me of when Lou Holtz was the head coach of Notre Dame football…

Before a game with any D-1 team not even close to ND’s level of play, he would claim that his team is not ready and they may get beat.

Then, they would go out and whip some tail… in route to winning a National Championship.

Just tell Ciavaglia to go back to his UG station and make that 6 wheeled swerve system lighter.

:slight_smile:

Andy B.

Posted by Peter Krumdieck at 2/14/2001 12:51 PM EST

Engineer on team #353, Pobots, from POB Central School District.

In Reply to: What kind of rookies ARE you?
Posted by Joe Johnson on 2/14/2001 10:12 AM EST:

: With your robot done early and your strong capabilities, I’d say you’re Super Rookies!

: Wow, great robot.

: We’ve regressed to our rookie year this year. As the ship date grows nearer, we get MORE overweight!

: We estimated we were 3 lbs over 3 days ago. It is now something like 9.5 lbs!

Joe:
Don’t fret. Like one of Woodie’s slides at kick off depicted: 300 1/2" holes in 1/8" aluminum = 1 lb.

Start drilling! (LOL)

Good luck making weight. I know you’ll do it. It’s just a matter of which magic device has to go.

-pete

: When I sleep at all, I have bad dreams…

: …and miles to go before I sleep.

: Joe J.

Posted by Ken Leung at 2/14/2001 2:06 PM EST

Student on team #192, Gunn Robotics Team, from Henry M. Gunn Senior High School.

Um… I am kind of seeing a problem here. It’s about the name of your team…

You see, we’ve been Gunn Robotics Team ever since 1997, and our robot hadthe name of “Top Gunn” at 1998. But ever since 1999 our robot obtained the name of “G-force”, and we are still using it this year.

So, am I seeing a conflict over here? I really hope your robot isn’t named “G-force” as well…

Posted by Joe Johnson at 2/14/2001 2:40 PM EST

Engineer on team #47, Chief Delphi, from Pontiac Central High School and Delphi Automotive Systems.

In Reply to: wait a minute…
Posted by Ken Leung on 2/14/2001 2:06 PM EST:

This has been a problem for years. Teams have grown to know and love their team names while new folks come along unfamiliar with what has already been done before.

It is difficult to blame teams. Perhaps FIRST should do more to publish team nicknames so that we don’t end up with so many similar and identical team names.

Any other suggestions?

Joe J.

Posted by Scott Strickland at 2/14/2001 10:26 PM EST

Engineer on team #21, ComBBAT, from Astronaut & Titusville High School and Boeing/NASA.

In Reply to: The Name Game
Posted by Joe Johnson on 2/14/2001 2:40 PM EST:

: Any other suggestions?

: Joe J.

From what I’ve seen in the FIRST programs, TBD is the most popular name used by FIRST teams.

Here at ComBBAT central there are some things we take very seriously. We like to give each year’s students the opportunity to put their stamp on the team by naming the robot. It usually has the personality of that years team or robot.

Year 1: Christine (robot attacked 3 people)
Year 2: Tippy (Named after a cat who hated people)
Year 3: ThuuunkMaster (I’m not sure why, weird kids)

This year … “THAT”

We thought Dean’s publicity generating name “IT” was a stroke of genious. We hope “THAT” will do just as well, both with publicity and world changing effect. I’ve already quoted several famous people and their thoughts about “THAT” in a previous post. Already, you see, “THAT” is big deal and we are getting even more feedback…

““THAT” was a great play” John Madden
“Did you see “THAT”?” Bob Costas
“I have no problem with “THAT”” G. W. Bush
“THAT” is not what I said" W. J. Clinton
“THAT’s” what’s happening" Dan Rather
“THAT’s a big meatball” Fat guy in alka selzer commercial

Hope you have as much fun as we do with “THAT”. Now if we can only get all of "THAT working.

Scott
ComBBAT “THAT”

Posted by Eric Tarnowski at 2/14/2001 2:53 PM EST

Student on team #535, G-Force, from Huntington North High School and United Technologies Electronic Controls.

In Reply to: wait a minute…
Posted by Ken Leung on 2/14/2001 2:06 PM EST:

Some good news, our robot is named Viking I, not G-Force. We saw the name of your robot the other day on your website and had the same thoughts. I hope it doesn’t cause too much confusion. Good thing FIRST relies so heavily on the numbers, huh?