Team 714 week 6 preview

There’s also a video of our cannon in its’ early stages preforming a double shot here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9PtglI0nBY

That was cool and pretty original.

Thanks a lot! To be honest we drew many ideas from our design for 2010’s breakaway.

How are you planning to mount bumpers on the front? I’m not certain from this angle that you’ve got 8" available to do the mounting (then again, I could be completely wrong).

Well we have about 4.5 inches of bumper space that will in fact be backed by the robot/bumper frame, which leaves us with 3.5 inches of unsupported. With that being said we are still within the bounds of rules

[R27]
Robots are required to use Bumpers to protect all exterior vertices of the Frame Perimeter. For adequate protection, at least 8 in. of Bumper must be placed on each side of each exterior vertex .

[R33]
Bumpers must be supported by the structure/frame of the Robot (i.e. each end of the Bumper must be rigidly attached to the Frame Perimeter, the gap between the backing material and the frame must not be greater than ¼ in. and no section of Bumper greater than 8 in. may be unsupported). See Figure 4‑7.

P.S I meant lunacy on my last post.

The bolded parts contradict the underlined part. GDC hasn’t ruled on “how close to the end is close enough” yet, though the question was asked earlier today (or for those of you on Eastern and Central time, yesterday). FRC57 asked a couple of questions on this topic.

At this point, it’s not that hard to fix, I don’t think–in the configuration shown, you could run something reasonably rigid and structural off the diagonal support of your collector.

While what you are saying is indeed true, there is still a frame to be added ( pretty much a a metal rectangular outline of the robot), thus complying with the bold parts of rule

[R33]
Bumpers must be supported by the structure/frame of the Robot (i.e. each end of the Bumper must be rigidly attached to the Frame Perimeter, the gap between the backing material and the frame must not be greater than ¼ in. and no section of Bumper greater than 8 in. may be unsupported). See Figure 4‑7.

I’m liking it, quite original

Thanks JosephC! We modeled the cannon mostly off the way a rifle/catapult works actually. We liked the idea of accelerating the ball for a long distance so as to maintain the straightest line of travel possible. It’s worked out great so far, as you can tell from the video.

Very cool bot, I’m excited to see you guys at Hatboro and Mt. Olive. 714’s been on a roll these past two years it seems.

Best of luck to you!

Thanks Akash! I think your right, I’ve been feeling the momentum coming for the past couple of years. Who knows what’s in store for us…

I’ll be sure to pay you and your team a visit during the competitions.
Best of luck to you as well!

Looks great, I love the base design. The only thing I don’t see are the magical Electronics. Where do they go?:ahh:

This robot reminds me so much of this robot, at least cosmetically. That can’t be a bad thing.

@Wing,

The electronics just got put in yesterday, and we’re finishing today. I’ll try and post some pictures of the final robot later today.

@Jared,

I can see what you mean, the machining is pretty similar.

Thanks guys.