Team 964's Updated Site

Runs on Joomla, and the theme is a highly-customized commercial template. I’m still working on a lot of things, like the frontpage, some content on a few pages, and fixing the photo gallery. This is the first year that I actually like the look and feel of our site. It’s far from done as of now, though.

Suggestions, critique, etc. You know the drill.

Very nice! 5 issues for me:
1st, css is not vaild (congrats on the xhtml being valid. i feel that harder than css :wink: )

2nd, the faded FIRST logo in the background on the main page bothers me… i did a kind of double take to see if i was imagining it. Maybe make it a little stronger if you want to keep it.

3rd, the menu fade time is too fast. It took me several tries to access the menu for information -> our robot, because at first my mouse went down then over, but it disappears. Maybe make the area slightly out of the menu count as a mouse over.

4th, A get this recamendation from google:

An inline script block was found in the head between an external CSS file and another resource. To allow parallel downloading, move the inline script before the external CSS file, or after the next resource.
5th, there is a little plus in the corner. No idea what all the buttons do, but i found the one that makes it change text size. The orange button makes it change to an orange theme, with the header saying “JA Senecio”

Otherwise i like the layout and orginizzation, and it has a fast load time. Very nice!

Edit: contact us page :“This is a sample contact us form, that is stored in a database table” I’d have an email. That is a personal opinion but i hate forms

Edit2: Updates, and updates -> news articles are incognito and erroring out.

This is the type of post I like to see! Thanks! Here we go:

1: It was valid before I started making changes. I’ll be sure to get it valid before the start of the season.

2: I don’t have the source file for that anymore, but the main thing is, that’s not part of the background, it’s an actual image that was used as part of a slideshow module that I used to have there, and it just so happens that the background is white in the image. Once I create a new one for 2010, that will be gone.

3: Thanks, I haven’t really given that much thought. I’ll look into it. :slight_smile:

4: Hmm, I don’t know where you’re getting this, but I’ll check the CSS files.

5: I’m trying to figure out how to get rid of that. I don’t want it at all. xD

Contact us: I was testing out that form. Once finished, that will just be a page with the main team contacts, including email addresses.

Updates: Known bug, been working on that one. Thanks for alerting me, though.

Glad to help :slight_smile:
The google thing refers to this :

<script type="text/javascript" src="[]("></script>
  <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="[]("/>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="[]("/>

<script type='text/javascript'>
var jc_option           = "";
var jc_autoUpdate       = "0";
var jc_update_period    = 0*1000;
var jc_orderBy          = "0";
var jc_livesite_busyImg = "";
var jc_username         = "";
var jc_email            = "";
var jc_commentForm;

It refers to javascript then css then more javascript. Refer more to this page for neat diagrams :

Another thing i missed to say is that for some reason, in your code there is a reference to a file called “.css” that doesnt exist. And in Ie8, there is a weird blue line appearing out of the blue (hehe punny) at the top. I suggest adding

<meta http-equiv=“X-UA-Compatible” content=“IE=EmulateIE7” />

to right after the <head> tag

Two of those Google lines refer to a plugin that I thought I disabled. Not sure about the other one.

lol, That CSS thing was there when I installed the template, not sure why. Might have to do with the color switcher. Whatever the reason, I’ll remove the code for it.

Thanks for that header tag.

EDIT: Ok, added the IE7 meta tag and changed the order of the CSS/JS tags. Since I don’t know where you’re getting those errors, please clear your cache an re-test the site for me. Thanks.

The error goes away now! also works in IE. A final not so critical note, you have 12 pieces of external javascript. you might want to combine them

Good idea. Once I’m done making changes, I’ll put some of them together. The problem is, a lot of them are thrown in by plugins. Turning on GZIP may compress them together, though.