Team Flag

We are looking to make a team flag this year. What size flag would you suggest making?
If anyone could provide a picture of your teams flag that would help us a lot. Thanks!

Normal size. Keep in mind that the MC is going to be waving this on the field before each match… obnoxiously large or heavy flags really tend to annoy them!

Edit to add a picture:

5 Likes

If you have the resources, an actual spinning flag is much preferred, they are so much easier to spin as an Emcee.

If you don’t, lighter is typically better, but otherwise, whatever you have works.

1 Like

I read this a few months ago and forwarded it to our media team that was designing our new flag (our old flag is beginning to show its age). I think that this is a good starting point.

The five Principles are:

1. Keep It Simple. The flag should be so simple that a child can draw it from memory.
  2. Use Meaningful Symbolism. The flag’s images, colors, or patterns should relate to what it symbolizes.
  3. Use 2 or 3 Basic Colors. Limit the number of colors on the flag to three which contrast well and come from the standard color set.
  4. No Lettering or Seals. Never use writing of any kind or an organization’s seal (edit: team numbers should be the exception).
  5. Be Distinctive or Be Related. Avoid duplicating other flags, but use similarities to show connections.

For more details:

3 Likes

Size: as stated above, easy to spin or at least wave vigorously. 3’x5’ is about the max; anything more is a pain. I have seen at least one “feather” format flag; definitely distinctive.

Colors: Agree with @AJohnson342 that fewer are better, but even more important than few colors is that there must always be significant contrast between adjacent colors, even if you were to look at it in black and white. The heraldic tradition for arms was that you never touched a metal to a metal (that is, white/silver to yellow/gold), or a color to a color (that is, blue, red, green, purple, or black to each other). if you do have “colors” touching, one should be bold and the other somewhat pastel (and the pastel should not touch white or yellow).

Lettering or seals: I wouldn’t go as hard over as @AJohnson342, but remember that the flag will be viewed from about 100 feet (30m) away at a regional, and several times that should you go to CMP. Consider what your flag will look like when it’s about the size of the full moon in the sky.

1 Like

My list of “Principles” came from a website.
Our flag does have our team number on it.
Since the flag is usually seen by the public as it is wildly (sometimes frantically) waved, people only have the chance to glance at whatever is sewn/embroidered on it.