The veteran members on our team decided to do some team reorganization. We came up with a constitution for ourselves (the people at the meeting) and general guidelines for rules which we will use to work with the rest of the team to write our rules. I have looked at most of the white papers dealing with team organization and what struck me was the fact that it seemed that those rules were written by few for many. We believe that in order for the rules to be effective everyone needs to have a say in making them. Most of the work was inspired by The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People- http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0671708635/qid=1061068985/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/102-8092673-9327364 I recommend it for everyone to read.
Here are the things we came up with. Feel free to use them. If you have any concerns or suggestions, please post them. Our team is going to meet soon and we would be very happy to use them.
Our purpose is to improve and apply the knowledge of engineering as well as build strong interpersonal relationships.
１) We exercise self control
２) We do not reject ideas from the beginning
３) We never impose rules on members unless it relates to immediate safety
４) We consider everything in the problem
５) We keep everyone informed
６) If we are going to complain, we will present a solution.
７) We strive to realize the potential of all members
８) We consider all things before making promises
９) Everything that can be done before kickoff should be done before kickoff
１０) We work with people to make self contracts for jobs
Guidelines for Rules and Regulations
• For an idea to be seriously considered it must be documented as accurately as possible by the person
o Must find some relevant prior art
o Detailed (to scale, with measurements)
• Before Production
o Absolute list of materials
o Make exact measurements
o Basic prototype for all ideas.
• Unless the idea is classified a post must be made on Chief Delphi prior to second meeting
• Designated meetings
• Clear agenda
o List of people who need to be present
• Revision meetings every month
• Work with people to make self contracts for jobs.
• Every meeting was to have an agenda.
• Update meetings
• Do team outings
• All ideas must be written down
• Brainstorming meetings must be taped
• Announce meetings at the end of the day
• Mandatory checklist for robot (Before actual competition we go through the process)
As we continue working on reorganizing our team, I will post new material.