Team Update #3 is up

http://www.usfirst.org/robotics/2002/tmup3.pdf

Run! Don’t Walk!

It is strange and yet weird, but when I opened the FIRST team update page, #3 was not listed. Nevertheless, your link works.
Seems as if FIRST forgot to post the link on the update page…
Thanks a lot, without you I would never have got to know that there was an update!

*Originally posted by Jan Olligs *
**It is strange and yet weird, but when I opened the FIRST team update page, #3 was not listed. Nevertheless, your link works.
Seems as if FIRST forgot to post the link on the update page…

Are you sure that you weren’t looking at a page that your browser cached?

*Originally posted by pavelthegeek *

Are you sure that you weren’t looking at a page that your browser cached? **

I just cleared the browser cache and reloaded, its still the old page. The only thing I can imagine is that it is cached on our school server and has not been reloaded recently. O fcourse, I can’t find that out from my computer, but it is actually not hard to imagine…

Update three says:

The following rules have been revised/clarified or updated
GM20. Robots may NOT intentionally:
- Tip any goal over
- Attach to the upper or lower plywood decks. (If enough
force is applied to either of these decks to move the goal
then you are considered to be attached).
- Deploy any sort of mechanism below the bottom plywood
deck or attach to the casters.
- Remove any of the 1” PVC from the goals.

GM21. In order to pick up or pull the goal in another direction, a
robot may ONLY grab onto the 16 metal pipes and their flanges
between the 2 plywood decks.

– New Rule

GM 23. You may push on the vertical surface of the stainless steel
edges around the upper and lower plywood deck to move the goal in a new direction.

Is rule 23 superseding the other two? Because if you’re pushing on a goal, and it moves, as 23 says you can, that would violate rule 20 as it is written above.

Someone help me out here.

I think the main reason for the 2nd bullet in GM20 was to prevent teams from reaching between the plywood decks and pushing up on the upper deck to lift the goal. Thus, for goal interaction, I read it as follows:

-You can attach to the following surfaces:
*12" steel pipes

• pipe flanges

-You can push WITHOUT attaching to the following surfaces:

• VERTICAL face of stainless steel angle

Any other contact with the goal must fall under the rules listed in GM20.

O.K. Riddle me this riddler.

If your robot is wedge shaped and goes underneath the casters on the goal so that the goal rides up onto the robot, is this a violation? Is it a violation if your robot is stationary and someone
pushes or legally lifts a goal and places it on you robot?

If some one pushes the goal onto you or in some way makes you tip or otherwise interact with the goal in a way that is against the rules, it isn’t your fault. But of course, thats up to the refs.

As for the wedge, I think any contact with the casters is illegal, unless it’s unitentional. But again, up to the refs. If you keep interacting with the goal against the rules, your fault or not, the judges may decide your bot is just designed poorley and make you change it.

I get the feeling that FIRST got real tired of duck taped goals last year.

-Andy

I don’t think it was the ducktaped goals - it was the busted bridges that got on their nerves.