Teams Boycotting IFI/Vex - Would you place a team on your DNP List for using Vex products?

THIS IS NOT A SUGGESTION (See edit 2)

With the recent information that has come to light, many teams in the community have planned to reduce or cut off their relationships with vex. That being said, would you place a team on a DO NOT PICK List for using vex products? What if their robot was majority of vex products? What if it is half of their robot? Also what a team has a sponsorship with Vex/IFI? I am curious.

EDIT: This post is not meant to tell teams what they should and should not do. This post was to get clarification on how far teams may be taking this situation. I have seen multiple replies referencing this dilemma, and wanted to have place on CD where it could clearly be answered.

EDIT 2: THIS IS NOT A SUGGESTION!

This post was created based on discussion on the open letter to vex thread. I know that many teams will include their students in their decision on the situation. Some may ask how will it affect our team if they continue with vex? Even though know the answer is obvious, students might not see it this way. It is great to have a place where they can see that their choice will not affect the advancement of their team during the competition season.

No.
edit: to include quote

11 Likes

No, but I would put a team on a DO NOT PICK List if they DNPd teams for using vex products

58 Likes

Nope

1 Like

That seems like an overreaction to me. Lots of teams don’t have the resources ($$$) to swap out of the VEX ecosystem, and even those who do would have trouble switching so quickly for 2023.

6 Likes

no

4 Likes

I feel like this question is a bit extreme. My answer is no.

2 Likes

No. Not every team has the resources to switch ecosystems (especially with less than 2 months left until kickoff). In addition, not every team reads online material on Chief Delphi.

7 Likes

No. We will not be buying new Vex products, but we don’t have the budget to buy all new Neos and Spark Maxes. We’ll be rocking used Falcons, WCP, REV, and AM parts in 2023 and eventually ween off the Falcons. You don’t know the situation of the team.

12 Likes

No.

They may be recycling the products to save money, and it does take some time to make the change in the first place.

If they were sponsored… at best guess about half of Team IFI (to my knowledge, the only teams IFI actually sponsors) has already placed IFI on their DNP list.

3 Likes

Maybe a relevant thread to catch up on OP: Why do you DNP
It spawned somewhat out of the Vex discussion and while it’s every teams choice on if they decide to boycott Vex products or not, most of us do not have the financial bandwidth to overhaul an expensive system like Falcons, let alone the time to train on a new system.

5 Likes

Say it with me:

You. Do. Not. Understand. Other. Teams. Financial. Situations.

50 Likes

Not every team participates on this forum or other FRC related platforms.

6 Likes

I have seen multiple replies referencing this dilemma, and wanted to have place on CD where it could clearly be answered.

No.

While I can certainly help to steer my teams decisions, it wouldn’t be fair to punish other teams.

We - I should clarify, any team I work with - are always hesitant to DNP anyone. The only time we without hesitation DNP a team is when they are so toxic to work with that it becomes a barrier. Teams who are openly racist/sexist/homophobic towards other people fall into this list.

10 Likes

No.

Our team isn’t purchasing from VEX in the future but that’s our decision. Others will make their own decisions based on what’s best for their teams. I don’t think we should judge them if continuing to buy VEX parts / accept VEX money is the best choice for the continuation of their teams.

10 Likes

Friendly reminder that some people can’t afford just throwing away their entire stock of parts.

6 Likes

If a team wants to buy VEX products, they can. Budget is complicated, not everyone can be appeased by the products other teams buy or reuse, especially right now with all this drama. No one can control how much drama a product has behind it.

2 Likes

This is very valid. Additionally, you can’t assume that all teams know or will know about these recent developments. I hosted an FLL tournament today and we had volunteers from several different FRC teams. The IFI topic came up during volunteer lunch, and next to none of those current FRC students were familiar with the situation yet, and may never have learned if it didn’t come up today.

14 Likes

Shocking: Most of the people on chief delphi are mentors on a few very specific teams.

1 Like