Teams "negging" other teams during Impact practice

While at a competition, a few of our students participated in an impact practice session hosted by well-respected team in FRC. During the practice session they were the target of abusive language by the mentor on that team. Upon speaking with another team, who also participated in a practice session with this team, I discovered they were targeted by identical abusive language from this mentor.

I believe the intent of this “practice session” was to “Neg” our students, essentially diminishing their confidence in their presentation before they present it in an effort to weaken it.

I believe this behavior is unacceptable and both teams plan to file a NMIR against this team’s mentor.

My goal of creating this thread is to make others aware of this practice and create a space to share similar experiences.

5 Likes

Correct, it’s not acceptable. Please follow through with the plan to NMIR this person.

14 Likes

As @EricH stated please follow through. Nates post on the below post also helps out with some tips.

3 Likes

This happened to 1114 in 2012 at the Championship. At the time it was one of the most brazen attempts at subterfuge I had ever seen at an event. (That changed later on that weekend.)

11 Likes

Please report this. That’s horrifying.

As a mentor who has worked with other Impact teams at events, the goal is to highlight what I’d maybe want to hear even more about in the Q&A and then build up confidence. Students work so hard to get to that point and have earned respect and genuine support from everyone.

1 Like

Ok, now I have heard the lowest of the low. Hope it ends well.

1 Like