Technical Questions, Rules

About the wheels – I heard an idea that you could use gears as wheels. Any amount, any size of gear means you can use any size of wheels, as long as they are “gears”? Don’t need to order skyway wheels or make them, just use gears?

What is the criterion for wheels? What is a wheel, what isn’t, etc?

Traction – our team has figured out how to get enough power to push the heavy goal using something called a planetary gear system (don’t ask me, I don’t know : ). How are you guys dealing with traction? We had an idea to use sandpaper. Using sandpaper as some sort of “belt” – what is a “belt”?

What is the criterion for a belt? What is a belt? Or maybe treads would be a better word. What are treads?

For the motors, is it possible to use ANY 12 VDC motor? What is the criterion for “Drill Motor”, which is 12 V?

Thanks for all the help. Don’t kill me if you see this message twice, someone called Martin is posting for our team too.

Brian

Additional Thoughts

The way our team has been talking with help from our coaches is that pushing the goals isn’t such an easy job. I heard that someone read on a post that the goals vary from 160-180 lbs. If your robot is 130 lbs, then that would be a considerable weight to push?

One of the problems we discussed was traction. Is traction such a big problem for you veterans that you are considering? It is certainly for our team, since we thought that moving 180 lbs on carpet was nearly impossible.

Of course nothing is impossible. Did you guys need to move those goals last year? I’m under the impression that you didn’t, because the pictures of the robots look like they’re so lightweight and fast, ball throwing being important.

Brian

Hi Brian

Last year our robot was able to pull a stretcher, w/dead robot, up and over the teeter totter. That’s ruffly 180 lbs. All we had was drill motors and groved 8" wheelchair wheels.
Our robot weighed 129.999 lbs :smiley:

Wayne Doenges

Brian,

Treads are like what you’d see on a tank. Go to the gallery on this site and look for MOE from last years competition. They had a nice tread design. The only motors you can use are the ones provided in the kit. Belts are like timing belts or v-belts like you would see on a car or on some drill presses. The guidelines for belts are listed in the additional hardware. Pretty much anything goes. Try the technical forum. There are a lot of good posts about treads/traction and drive systems in general. Also, look through the white pages, they have some good documents on drive design.

I think that you’ll find quite a few robots who successfully move the goals… It’s not THAT hard, 180 lbs is a big deal, but these goals are on wheels… I think the problem is not going to be moving them, but maneuvering with them… hats off to the team who can dodge other robots while holding/carrying 2 goals…

*Originally posted by JVN *
**I think that you’ll find quite a few robots who successfully move the goals… It’s not THAT hard, 180 lbs is a big deal, but these goals are on wheels… I think the problem is not going to be moving them, but maneuvering with them… hats off to the team who can dodge other robots while holding/carrying 2 goals… **

Dodge them? Yikes…not only will that whole load be a heavy one…but you will present quite a large target when see broadside! :eek:

Do you suppose there will be many “2 goal controlling” robots? :confused:

-Quentin

I think there will be a significant amount yes…
It’s just a logical step up from last year’s robots. Just beef up the tranny and drive…