Testing Camera Tracking while in the pits

Hello, My team would like to be able to test camera tracking while in the pits at our next compatition the only problem is that we are not allowed to run the robots through the wireless bridge. We have a 4 slot crio and as a result cant run camera while the robot is tethered. Is there anyway we can get this feed with out directly using the bridge.

Plug the cRIO and Camera into the Bridge. Plug your laptop into the Bridge. Problem solved; you aren’t using wireless to control the robot, you are just using the wired Ethernet ports.

When your DAP1522 is in Bridge mode is not broadcasting a signal. There should be no issue with plugging things in as Jared described and running in the pits.

thanks guys.

Another alternative is to simple bring a small switch with you. Unplug the Bridge, connect the switch in it’s place and it should be smooth as silk and ZERO issues with the Bridge being on.

And BTW, the Bridge still does broadcast in Bridge mode, so don’t be caught unaware.

In bridge mode, the AP on your robot looks no different in the air than the phone in your pocket trying to associate with known wifi networks.

Tom,
It’s my understanding that the Bridge will be receiving a signal, no doubt. But I also believe, and please correct me if I’m wrong, it will still generate a signal as part of it’s process to “associate” with a network. Thus, it still broadcasts.
The only way I know of to completely silence the Bridge is to power it off.
Now whether that is truly necessary in the pits is debatable.

Last year the regional staff told us we had to have the radio in bridge mode, which worked fine and was “the rules.” You can connect everything, including the camera, to the radio and they will communicate. You may have to configure the camera differently than if you plugged it into the cRIO, I’m not sure. Try it and see. If it doesn’t work, try the camera setup tool (similar to the imaging tool).

In AP mode, the bridge creates its own network (the name is your team number) and handles the network part of the communication (AP means access point). This looks like a WiFi network to computers, phones, etc. and causes interference for the field.

In Bridge mode, it only tries to give wireless communication abillities to your non-wireless system (it’s “being the bridge” in the connection), and will try/will be able to connect to a network. This is what it does on the field, it connects to the field’s network. But it won’t set up, manage, and broadcast the existance of a wireless network (as AP mode would do instead). But it does have 4 ports, so in the pits you can basically use it like a switch and wirelessly connect (tether) the parts of the system (in bridge mode).

That’s my understanding; please correct me if I’m wrong. :o Hope that helps!

RoboMaster is correct. Here’s an even simpler way of understanding:

bridge mode = wireless client just like your laptop, phone, etc. = good