Tethers

Does anyone have an idea about what an acceptable tether can be? The rules (I think) only say that it cannot be designed to entangle another robot. At the kickoff when a question about tethers was asked, it seemed like any tether that poses the threat of entanglement is unacceptable.

Hi. It seems to me that you don’t fully understand the tethers, so i’ll share what i know for sure. Tether cables are just used to navigate the robot around… its for saftey purposes in small areas, as well as transport over longer distances. The tether port allows the conrol interface to be powered off of the robot’s battery and allows for direct communcation. That means you don’t need any plugs, radios, or excess controllers. Just plug one joystick into your port 1 and you’re good to go. You vets correct me if i’m wrong. :smiley:
~Bobb
Team 804

Opps, dumb reply, i apologize. I’m too tired to do much more of this lol.
~Bobb
Team 804

It’s not really a matter of whether its designed to entangle, but whether it poses the risk of entanglement, like they said in the kickoff. A 20 foot rope stretching across the field might pose that risk.

Hi if I think I’m right teathers cannot be on a rope or anythign that is like flimsey. And It cant be used for liek streatching like 30ft to touch our endzone. Though if you had a pole that might work. Not sure if that answeres you question.

Like Suneet said, if it can entangle in any way, then its not allowed. I’ve heard of many people saying things like, “But we’re only going to use it in the last 5 sec.!” etc. and it doesn’t work like that. If a robot could get tangled, then is illegal.

~Tom Fairchild~, who is proud to have found some interesting ways around that… :smiley: :wink: