Thank you all for a great time...

Hello all fellow CD users and anyone else associated in FIRST,

this is not self-gloatation just thanks

I want to take a few moments of your time, and express my deepest thanks and gratitude for the past 6 years of knowledge and gracious professionalism. I’ve learned so much and to the help and dedication of so many people that it’s (unfortunately) too long of a list to mention everyone. FIRST has taught me valuable life lessons, lessons I continue to use to this day. There’s a reason why this organization was institutionalized and I’m thankful for every ounce of knowledge I received.

I came into FIRST not knowing what to do with my life or what interested me; soon after joining my local FIRST team doors and windows to the future started to open up. I can proudly say, after three years I finally knew what I wanted to do. Mechanical Engineering was the road I took, and since I was a mediocre student, I had to start small. I enrolled in a local community school and began the next chapter of my FIRST involvement, a mentor. I helped team 134 for two seasons, and unfortunately, after five semesters at college Mechanical Engineering seemed like it wasn’t completely for me. I liked to design things and to model in CAD is my passion, I’ll admit complicated math was never my forte, but I knew I wanted to be in the design/creative process of engineering. I transferred schools to back home, and started on my associates in CAD degree.

As soon as I moved home, I knew I wanted to re-join my alma-matter and rekindle my flame for FIRST. The desire I once had as a geeky high-school student seemed from my pores and I was eager to start. Sadly, after being laid off and other unfortunate circumstances the real world set in and I realized I cannot continue with FIRST on a full-time basis. I have been continuing to referee and volunteer at events, but no team has been listed on my '05-'06 resume.

As I said before, I thank EVERYONE I’ve met over these six fantastic years, and I wouldn’t have changed it for the world. And I am sad to say it, but I think I have to move on from a FIRST team involvement and from CD. I’ve got a great relationship starting in other ventures and I believe the corny cliche “If you really love something let it go”. I will not completely abandon my FIRST career, nor any of the personal ties I have made with people. I just thing it’s time to start focusing on how to broaden my horizon, and make new goals for myself.

Again, thank you to everybody…and farewell (for now)

~Gregory Perkins

Good luck wherever your life takes you - at least keep us posted :).

• Genia

Im not going to say anything, except to quote one of the great philosophers of our time:

“Everytime I think Im out, they PULL me back in!” -George Kastanza :^)

Greg,
Never forget your roots. I hope you will be happy in your new life. Remember, “if you are happy in your job, you will never work a day in your life.” I am not sure who said this but is more true than most people can imagine.

I, too, have thought about moving on from FIRST because of many of the same situations you listed. I am currently laid off and in college. Mechanical engineering even and like you, math is not my strongest area. I hope I can get over that hump, but I realize that maybe I won’t.

I, however, don’t think I will be able to bring myself to leave the team I belong to. I’ve made too many friends and learned to much to quit. I commend you for what you are doing and hope that someday I will be able to move on but never forget.

Thank you for being part of FIRST, I have learned much from many of your posts.