Thank You and Congrats to Teams 20, 2079, 195, and 1124!

Hi! After the WPI regional, team 2791 and I have a lot of people to thank, for a lot of reasons. I apologize in advance for the long post, but I really need to thank these great teams again, and I figure people can learn from their example as my teammates have at competition today.

Thank you Team 20. As you’re a team very nearby us in build, you’ve helped us throughout build with programming, practice field use, parts, and the like. When we got to WPI regional, everything that could go wrong did… until you guys gave us more help and exhibited more gracious professionalism than I’ve ever personally seen at a FIRST event. It started with some programming advice… then details on your vaccumm, then the lexan we so vitally needed to pass inspection, then a hand tap, then a battery, then hours of more programming assistance… Your team was a true class act throughout. Clearly you guys were taking time away from your own robot which needed adjusting to help with ours, and for that we thank you. But wait, there’s more! They ALSO lent us their scouting data and some of their scouts collaborated with us on our Friday pick list! Without 20’s data, 2791 would not have been able to form the amazing alliance we had.

So thank you, Team 20. Not just for the unbelievable amount of help and spare parts and minds, but for inspiring my entire team. Through your example, the rookies “get it”. They’ve caught the FIRST bug, and understand just how Gracious Professionalism comes into play. They have a new role model to look up to. Everyone on my team LOVES you guys and the amount of support you’ve given us. And congrats on that event win, you guys definitely earned it. I think you’re one of the best front robots in FIRST at this point with your kicker that lofts over most defenders and your vacuum.

Aside from 20, team 2079 was a team of gracious professionals as well. Offering everything from help and parts to just a friendly group of people to vent and talk to, you guys are a great team and if it weren’t for those early bugs, you’d have made elims for sure. We still have your aluminum billet, by the way, so we’ll return what’s left of it to you at our next event. Watch for these guys at CT, they’re way better than you might think.

And who’s next? :slight_smile: Team 195 and 1124. I honestly was in complete shock that 195 fell to the 5th pick, and just as much shock that 1124 was around for the 12th. When my head scout read “1124”, I was excited just based on our robots. Then we met for the huddle and had a thorough, intelligent, intense strategy discussion that allowed us to form the action plan that we needed to play as well as we did. Other than some code issues with 1124 (sorry about all the stress and drama with the timeout call, by the way), we performed very well as one alliance, and if things broke our way, I think we’d have at least had a shot at trying to stop the powerhouse #1 alliance. You’ll all be at CT, so hopefully we’ll get to work with you guys again. I would honestly be happy with the same alliance, but we’ll see how that goes… :]

To WPI’s volunteer staff and 195: I was a little… overly excited today when my team’s final match wasn’t factored in for elims (and in 195’s case, on strategy, so overexcited i planned a strategy with the goals backward…). I don’t want to go into detail (it’s nothing terrible), but I’m not actually normally like that, something just happened and I was basically overstimulated all day. Not the best impression, but I’m really much more calm than that :slight_smile:

Congrats to 1124 on Chairman’s as well! What a wonderful event. I’ve been inspired by all of you, as has my whole team, and we’ll see you in CT.

Just wanted to say dude, your team and the turn around you had on Saturday was very impressive. Your team should be insanely proud for taking quarterfinals against 190 to 5 matches (3-3)(3-3)(6-4)(7-5)(5-7). From all your problems on Friday and Thursday to seeding 5th, I am very proud of you guys. I know the aim was RCA or Engineering Inspiration, but two trophies ain’t too shabby either. Good luck in CT.

P.S- I’m glad you finally got to meet 3125 and 2079.

Chris, thanks for the kind words. It was nice meeting you and your team - you guys were definitely a big help to my team.

I thought you guys were going to pull off the win in the quarters, but it was good showing anyway.

if it weren’t for those early bugs, you’d have made elims for sure.

Yeah, but it was the late bugs that hurt us. When we tipped friday afternoon we cracked our electronics panel and our Crio shorted, but since we had to to queue for the next match immediatley after we had no choice but to just sit on the field and not move. Then we had a defective battery charger that gave a nearly dead battery but said it was full, so that cost us two matches because we didn’t move due to dead batteries. I wouldn’t have picked my team seeing as we didn’t move much in 3 of our qual matches. We just didn’t have time to tell everyone that we fixed our probelms before elims.

As a Team 20 Programmer, it was my pleasure to help you guys out. We were so happy to see you in top 8, and even more so when you won the judge’s and website awards. When you picked 1124, we knew you put that scouting data to good use. We look forward to working with Team 2791 again in the years to come.

Wow. On behalf of my entire team, I can’t thank you enough for writing this. Really. It means so much to all of us. Who knew that a little stuff guarding could end in such an amazing alliance and only one more reason for me to be excited about CT. When I saw that you had picked 195 as your first choice, I knew that you were the alliance I wanted our team to be on. So, naturally, I was ecstatic when you called our name. Not only that, but it was only shortly after that my feelings about the alliance were confirmed with the excellent meeting that took place after. I was really impressed by how intelligent both the drivers and strategists of your team and as well as 195 were.

There was a definite display of Gracious Professionalism from all sides as well. One instance I can pull was the energy situation. It really made me happy knowing that so many teams were willing to give up something so valuable for others in order for them to compete. And, although we didn’t take the Regional (congratulations to 230, 20, and 228 by the way- you guys were nothing short of amazing out there), I was able to end the day with a smile because of how much fun it was working with you all.

It was great meeting all of you, meeting up with those I already knew, and being able to work in such a great environment. Thank you all so much about Chairman’s as well. It was defiantly a surprise on our part, seeing as it was only our second year submitting. Congratulations to you guys on the Judge’s Award! After talking to Lizzy about some of your accomplishments, I can honestly say it was clearly earned. Also, congratulations should go out to any team that won any award as well as to Tina and Eric for Dean’s list. Although I don’t know you all personally, I can tell just from the three days spent together that those awards were given out with care and to deserving teams.

Best of luck to all who were at WPI and will be continuing to other events in the following weeks. If anyone has any questions or anything for me or my team, don’t hesitate to send me a message or email me. :slight_smile:

Thank you Team 20. As you’re a team very nearby us in build, you’ve helped us throughout build with programming, practice field use, parts, and the like. When we got to WPI regional, everything that could go wrong did… until you guys gave us more help and exhibited more gracious professionalism than I’ve ever personally seen at a FIRST event. It started with some programming advice… then details on your vaccumm, then the lexan we so vitally needed to pass inspection, then a hand tap, then a battery, then hours of more programming assistance… Your team was a true class act throughout. Clearly you guys were taking time away from your own robot which needed adjusting to help with ours, and for that we thank you. But wait, there’s more! They ALSO lent us their scouting data and some of their scouts collaborated with us on our Friday pick list! Without 20’s data, 2791 would not have been able to form the amazing alliance we had.

So thank you, Team 20. Not just for the unbelievable amount of help and spare parts and minds, but for inspiring my entire team. Through your example, the rookies “get it”. They’ve caught the FIRST bug, and understand just how Gracious Professionalism comes into play. They have a new role model to look up to. Everyone on my team LOVES you guys and the amount of support you’ve given us. And congrats on that event win, you guys definitely earned it. I think you’re one of the best front robots in FIRST at this point with your kicker that lofts over most defenders and your vacuum.

2791, I know I speak for my entire team when I say that to see your number up in the top eight made us so excited and happy. And when you won the judges’ award, I’d like to think we cheered almost as loud as your team did.

Team 20 has always been focused on winning, but after we developed such a close relationship with your team I think we realized it could be almost as satisfactory to see another team win as well. So thank you 2791, for teaching us that sometimes the best feeling doesn’t come from watching yourself excel but rather from watching others excel.

It was great to see you guys do so well, both by getting to the top eight and taking both the judges award and the website award. It’s great to know that we were able to be of assistance, and even better to know that our team was able to inspire yours. But it’s evident that you guys worked hard and earned everything you’ve accomplished through your hard work this weekend and throughout the season. Hopefully we can continue working with you guys in the future, and we look forward to it. Congratulations Shaker on a job well done this season!

You came to Shen with pretty much a broken robot four weeks ago, You effectively rebuilt your robot and competed at WPI on kid smarts and knowing exactly when to ask for help. You had an effective autonomous mode. You won two awards at WPI. Shaker and Shen High School are fierce competitors in sports but this does not carry over in robotics. In robotics there are no defined boundaries such as schools. Our job as mentors is to give all kids an opportunity in engineering and science. I was amazed how far you came from just a few weeks ago.

Shaker has great kids!

Congratulations!! Next year let’s get together a little sooner.
Good luck in the future and get up and dance!

Team 20, 195, and 1124,

As part of the drive team, I must say it was a pleasure working with you guys (195 and 1124). We worked well together as an alliance and appreciated everything you did on our team. Your drivers and robocoaches were excellent at not only driving, but spotting “moves” on the field, and correcting problematic circumstances. We really fought hard (5 quarter final matches is quite impressive) :D.

Anyway, as for team 20, I only really got to know Mr. Barra, but I know we got a ton of programming and parts help from them. They even opened their shop up for us on the Sunday before ship so we could get things to work. I think I speak for 2791 and myself when I say that we couldnt have done it without you. And yes - lets get together earlier next time. BTW - I dont dance - but others on our team do! :stuck_out_tongue:

Kind Regards,

Animesh Hajela

To all,
As another member of Team 20, I would like to say thanks for it. At the practice event at RPI, I saw MANY dysfunctional robots, including our own. To see the large amount of change that happened in that short amount of time, I am amazed and thankful to both. Getting the top 8 for your team was just a bonus. After all, competition is strong, but making sure your robot rocks is even better.
edited to change tocks to rocks. robots are not clocks.

I’ve never had so much fun at a FIRST event as I did at WPI, and I know for sure it’s because of our relationship with the teams there. Our alliance going into quarterfinals was ideal, and our performance was just as good. And Joe, you can’t make us dance unless you dance! :stuck_out_tongue:

Next year we absolutely must start working together earlier, hopefully we won’t need to hijack your shop space the Sunday before ship again.

Thank you everyone for all your help at WPI, and I speak for all of 2791 when I say we absolutely can not wait for Connecticut! See you there.

I’m really glad I was able to make it to the first WPI Regional - what an experience! I graduated high school two years ago and am much less actively involved in team 1124 now, but it was great to come back and see how much team has grown. As my main role back in the day was in strategy and coaching, I sat in on some of the strategy meetings and worked with some of the newer strategists (including my younger sister who just joined the team :)). 2791 and 195, you were more than just a little bit overcaffeinated, but the enthusiasm was great and all three teams really pulled it together and played well as an alliance during the eliminations. I don’t think I’ve ever seen 5 quarterfinal matches at a competition, and I’ve been to quite a few. I’m hoping I’ll be able to make it to the CT Regional so I can watch you guys play more!

Teams 20 and 230, I’ve seen you guys at many competitions as well. I remember that at the first regional I ever went to, I was in awe of team 20, and you sent me back to that day at WPI this year. Your team is amazing and you built a great bot. Team 230, we’ve played with each other and against each other many times- you consistently build high quality (and very safe!) robots. I’m glad it worked out for you this year, and I hope your next regional goes as well for you. ::safety::

I’m going to add in another team to recognize here- team 3125. They faced a huge number of challenges this season, but somehow managed to overcome all of them. I was extremely pleased to see them recognized for it as the Rookie All-Star team at WPI. I know many of their team members personally, and I saw that they absolutely gave everything they had in them and more to make it to that point. I’m sure they’ll go on to do quite well in the future (I hope I’ll see you guys at Connecticut as well)!

Finally, to the members past and present of team 1124- I am so proud of you for how much you’ve grown as a team. The mentality of our team has changed so much over its eight seasons, and you have all come to realize what FIRST is really about and embrace those values. I had no idea that the outreach programs started back in 2006 would be continued and improved and spread to the extent they are today- everything you do is truly impressive. I was shocked and honored when they started reading bits of our Chairman’s submission for the Chairman’s award. I’m really proud to call myself a part of team 1124- keep being awesome!

This is a bit of a side track, but…

Would you believe that this isn’t the first time something like this has happened to me?

I’m one of the luckiest people in FIRST. When I was on my own FTC team, my robot failed inspection because I spliced some wires. Upon hearing this, I said “Yay!”. This surprised the volunteer, I guess, and apparently the unusual reaction was enough for her to help me out throughout the event. Turns out, she was the team captain of FRC team 1714, and when I ended up winning the event, she got me the help I needed. All because I randomly made a comment near the beginning of the event.

Then at IRI last year my team’s pits were put back to back with 2753’s, whom had a double sided banner. Because of the resulting confusion, I ended up talking to and befriending Tyler throughout the event.

Akash made a thread about FRC teams at RPI and from there, 2791 contacted me about visiting them and then from there I became a college mentor. What would have happened had he not?

So I guess you’re just the next person I’ve met through FRC by sheer chance that might change my life. Because I volunteered to sit outside for 45 minutes with my team’s supplies while everyone else got food, I had a nice friendly chat with you before the event began, and continued to throughout the event. I’ve been in the right place at the right time so many times now, my FRC experience has been almost entirely defined by it. This is why I value gracious professionalism so much. If it weren’t for this open attitude in FRC, I would be nothing. Now, people think I have the slightest idea that I know what I’m doing. :eek: