the 11 phases of FIRST (sorry, I must vent)

Posted by Jason Morrella.

Coach on team #254, Cheesy Poofs, from Broadway High and NASA Ames/Cypress Semiconductor.

Posted on 2/10/2000 4:54 AM MST

OK, I think I have officially passed on to phase 8 of the FIRST experience. To summarize so far:

Phase # 1 - the ‘wow, those crazy FIRST people,what a unique game. Dean’s house is so neat & those FIRST people are so nice. I can’t wait for the next six weeks.’ phase has passed.

Phase # 2 - the ‘ok, maybe the game is a little more challanging than I thought - let’s try to build our 53rd design concept, maybe that one will work’ phase has passed.

Phase # 3 - the ‘we don’t need those SMC or Small parts we’re waiting for - let’s just go with the moving box design & strategy’ phase has passed.

Phase # 4 - the ‘see everything is fine - I told you those parts would show up on time - now we should be finished this week’ phase has passed.

Phase # 5 - the ‘boy I’m proud of these kids for all their dedication, but it would be nice to see my family and friends again’ phase has passed

Phase # 6 - the ‘what do you mean nothing we design works, we have to start over, and we only have 11 days left’ phase has passed.

Phase # 7 - the 'it’s 3:35 AM, I have slept 5 hours in the last 3 days, and I can’t really put into words what I think of those ‘nice’ FIRST people for starting this competition. And if this radio station plays that Ricky Martin song a 5th time in the last 3 hours I’m gonna go crazy ’ phase should pass soon.

Phase # 8 - the ‘if there was only a FIRST team when I was in High School - I’d be an engineer, not a teacher, and I’d be cashing in my stock options right now’ phase should hit after the next pot of coffee.

Phase # 9 - the ‘I know this is all worth it, I just know it is. at least I remember it was last year. I wonder what my friends are doing right now - or if any of them have gotten married or had any kids since I last talked to them’ phase will hit this Saturday night/Sunday morning at about 2 am.

Phase # 10 - the ‘I can’t wait to use all 14 of my sick days in a row, turn off my phone, and do nothing but sleep starting on February 22nd’ phase will last 11 more days.

Phase # 11 - the ‘I love FIRST, the robot works, it has been shipped, my students are the greatest, our engineers are Gods gift to Earth, this program is the most amazing thing I have ever been a part of - Dean, Woodie, and all the FIRST people should win a Noble Prize for the difference they are making in society’ phase should start on February 23rd and last until the 1st week of January in 2001.

EVERYONE HAVING FUN.

Sorry, but if I didn’t vent I would have thrown this computer out the window. Gotta go to Kinko’s and do the final finish on the Chairman’s award submission the kids just finished an hour or so ago.

Can’t wait to see everyone at the regionals and the national. Keep up the great work everyone.

Jason

Posted by Ken Wilson.

Engineer on team #248, FEMEX, from Philadelphia Girls High and PECO Energy Company.

Posted on 2/11/2000 5:07 AM MST

In Reply to: the 11 phases of FIRST (sorry, I must vent) posted by Jason Morrella on 2/10/2000 4:54 AM MST:

: Can’t wait to see everyone at the regionals and the national. Keep up the great work everyone.

: Jason

: What stock options? I do it for the thrill. Our teachers (under contract) at least get paid for their OT - not so for us engineers. The means are tough, but the end results validate the effort.

:I’m beginning to think phase 11 is a pipe dream. Good Luck. Get some sleep… …on Feb 22.

: Ken

Posted by mike aubry.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Engineer on team #47, Chiefs, from Pontiac Central.

Posted on 2/11/2000 6:04 PM MST

In Reply to: the 11 phases of FIRST (sorry, I must vent) posted by Jason Morrella on 2/10/2000 4:54 AM MST:

Jason,
You have time to post messages? As you can see the activity on our website is directly proportional to the ever - so quickly approaching build deadline. As they say, ‘It’s always quietest just before the tornado hits’. So, quit talking and get back to work! But remind yourself often - just how much fun you are having! Later, Mike A.