The 2020 Robonauts Everybot Low Resource Build

Yes. We designed it to score in the low goal and picking up from the top HP port was a bonus.

2 Likes

We’re finishing it up to have it posted Sunday. The build document is meant as a companion document to the CAD model. We’ll do our best to include complete drawings for all parts, but ultimately you should try to use a free student version of Autodesk Inventor, Creo Parametric, or the free Solidworks licenses offered to FRC teams.

5 Likes

My team isn’t rookie, but low CAD experience currently. We have been using the grabCAD files to reverse engineer and modify the Everybot intake/hopper. Opening up the posted CAD, there are tools available in the window to take some simple measurements. You might find that to be a good start before the build documentation is posted. It has also been a great way to get my rookies to see the value and accessibility of CAD for design.

1 Like

Looking at your parts list, it looks like you were able to power the winch lift with a miniCIM using a 5:1 gear reduction. Is that correct or am I missing something?

The climber uses a 50:1 versaplanetary driven by a miniCIM. 10:1 stage and 5:1 stage. You could almost certainly get away with faster, likely a 25:1. We lifted the robot with a 25:1 but ended up adding more reduction to keep it from back driving under the load of the springs pulling the hook up. We then softened the springs so would probably try switching back to 25:1 if we had the time.

2 Likes

We have finished up the build documentation, you can find it here.

We also have a material cut list that can be found here.

We have a gusset cut guide that can be found here.

We are also launching our Everybot website, 118Everybot.org This website will have all of the current and future Everybot resources, along with the resources from past Everybots.

We will be adding several competition resources to the website before the competition season begins. We will also be adding a way for teams to submit photos of their own Everybot to be displayed on our website and a form for them to request a gold anodized Everybot plaque to attach to their own Everybot.

Good luck with the rest of your Infinite Recharge build season,
-The Everybot Crew

40 Likes

This is one of the best resources ever produced for FRC.

14 Likes

Ethan, Ryan, and the rest of the Everybot crew,

Thank you each so much for developing the 2020 Everybot and it’s associated resources. I’ve been forwarding every bit of documentation and video of your project to my dad’s rookie team. They just decided this weekend to move forward with an Everybot build for 2020.

As a rookie lead mentor, my dad is thrilled to be able to go off the BOM you posted, get the parts they need, and walk his new FRC students through your documentation to develop an effective and simple robot for this season. They work out of a garage with very limited tooling, so all the gusset templates and cut lists will really help them get to a finished product.

The Everybot project is a total game changer for the FRC program, and my dad’s team specifically. The last three years of Everybot have been especially well documented and effective for playing the game. I am looking forward to seeing where Everybot goes in the future.

Thank you,

-Mike

33 Likes

This is tremendously helpful stuff, especially on the climber. One thing, page 27’s green box:

57 Sport gearboxes don’t have native support for the BAG motor. (I’m confident someone could modify the input block to do it, but such things are likely beyond the scope of an Everybot build.) The BaneBots 550 motor would be the closest analog, and can be had with the pinion pre-pressed.

(former AndyMark employee checking in)

14 Likes

It looks like due to the churro for the bottom rear roller being 24.375", the ball manipulator would exceed the width of the 24" chassis.

I more than likely have a major misunderstanding of the rules regarding frame perimeter and bumpers, but wouldn’t this be problematic due to bumpers having to be mounted to the frame perimeter?

1 Like

Where did you find that 24.375" number? That doesn’t sound right and we’d like to fix it.

1 Like

It’s in the cut list sheet here:

1 Like

Gotcha, thanks. That dimension is incorrect and we’re fixing it. The CAD should be correct.

2 Likes

@Ethan_Reed, @rstockton429, and everyone else on the 118 Everybot crew,

I’m flabbergasted at how comprehensive these build instructions are. I’ve seen education companies with 10+ full time curriculum writers struggle to produce a resource even half as detailed and useful as what you’ve put together.

^ This.

My hope is that it goes into the hands of as many teams as possible. Maybe even into the Kit of Parts one day. I honestly believe that the Everybot has the potential to transform the FRC experience for both new teams and existing teams struggling with sustainability.

47 Likes

Maybe the Everybot group could be asked to sign NDA’s and get access to the Game Manual 2-3 weeks early. If that is not acceptable, at least FIRST can send the link to all the teams as a mass email.

10 Likes

This could bring the skill floor up by a massive amount and do a lot of good in keeping low resource teams motivated to compete.

4 Likes

I posted a better video detailing Everybot’s climbing mechanism. It’s the most important scoring task, but also potentially the most confusing mechanism, so I hope this makes it easier to understand.

As more resources are posted, Ryan or I will continue to post here in this thread, but they will also be added to our site, 118everybot.org

9 Likes

That’s amazingly simple. Do you foresee any issues with that wrench coming out of the notch if the robot were to get hit pretty hard?

2 Likes

We also now have drawings for most of the custom parts on the robot. The drawings have more data rather than less, for example the hole patterns for the gussets should just be match drilled but the hole positions are included in the drawings anyway.

The folder with the drawings can be found here.

2 Likes

I was prepared to zip tie it down if it fell out, but after many robot collisions and driving over the barriers it never did.

4 Likes