The 2021 Robonauts Everybot Low Resource Build

Excellent - thank you!

1 Like

We’ve filmed and posted videos of Everybot driving through the paths for the first three challenges. These are all driven manually with just a quick afternoon of practice in order to give a general sense of speed.

There are also two bonus videos in that playlist of Everybot completing the Power Port Challenge. In the first video, Everybot scores 144 points. In the second, Everybot scores 18 points. The first utilizes the ambiguity of the rules and description of the Power Port Challenge, and we do not expect that it will remain a viable option.

The robot is the same as Everybot 2020, sans the climber. An updated BOM and CAD will be posted shortly. In the meantime, if your team is able to meet and work on robots, you can get started using the build documentation from last year, found at 118Everybot.org.

24 Likes

Some GDC member: 1995 game flashbacks

5 Likes

Power port challenge- That. Is. Fast.

I noticed in the “Is this allowed” video that the motor shaft powering the movement of the hopper arm moves quite the lot… It’s most likely just the motor stalling.

1 Like

Glad you called us out… :stuck_out_tongue: The rivets all sheared from driver practice last season and some were a little deeper than I was willing to go to fix. Still functional, just doesn’t look pretty. One of the resources we plan on releasing is a collection of what broke so teams can reinforce or plan ahead accordingly.

7 Likes

We have put some thought into doing a very small robot for the skills, (specially because our robot uses the wide configurantion), but gains wouldn’t be that much probably and is really hard to fit anything more than an intake onto it

The smallest we’ve gotten the KOP chassis down for a competition robot was to was 24"x24". Right now, there are two schools of thought in my team: small everybody versus small flywheel shooter bot. We probably build both for fun. Lots of room to explore this year, distanced and safety of course.

I’m interested in seeing the list of common Everybot stress points - I bet we’ve seen a lot of them on my team already, but wonder if we missed a few. The motor on the arm assembly gave us lots of headaches.

2 Likes

To me this seems like the pinnacle example of a loop disallowed by the blue box in PPC6.

“The intent of this allowance is to avoid forcing humans to field POWER CELLS in close
proximity to the ROBOT. Teams should not use this allowance to attempt to create a
“loop” with minimal ROBOT movement.”

Depends on how you read that blue box. If it’s restricted to the realm of human reintroduction, as suggested by PPC6, the blue box has nothing to do with the example shown in the video.
If you read the blue box as separate from PPC6 and more holistic in its nature, then I agree with your assessment.
Unfortunately, there’s no way to know what the GDC intent was without a direct Q&A.

I feel this is the worst part of the 2021 manual. In the past, teams have been encouraged to stretch the rules to the farthest possible bounds, to promote the engineering challenges. This year, it’s much more ambiguous, and teams are asked to infer the intent of purposefully vague rules. Frustrating to say the least.

8 Likes

I agree the challenge isn’t totally clear. IMO this however is universally ruled out as the provision that allows robots to use power cells from the field say “POWER CELLS which land in the challenge space may be fielded directly by the ROBOT” these aren’t landing anywhere in fact they are never released.

All of this is also completely ignoring the spirit of the rules. I don’t see how pushing balls against a wall could possibly be in the spirit of this challenge.

I agree that the Power Port Challenge is IMO by far the worst offender for this as it is pretty much solely judges how many balls you can shoot so teams are entirely encouraged to optimize how many they can shoot and the involves bending the rules towards a loop as much as possible.

IMO to fix this either remove the blue box and make all power cells be reintroduced via the reintroduction zone or lay out a specified number of power cells and then timing the robot in how long it took teams to pick them up and shoot them. I understand this would be very difficult for teams with 3 balls but I would think that would be the minority of shooting teams and that those teams could borrow more.

One way to go could be:

Intuit the spirit of the rules and follow it in good faith.

A fundamental problem with that approach is that the spirit of the rules is not generally clear to all participants. As we can see by the Q&A questions posed every year, it is hard to distinguish between clever legal and clever illegal solutions to the problems posed to us.

Another way to go could be:

Goals can only be scored with live balls. Balls go dead when they touch the goal for the first time after becoming live. Balls go live when they touch the HP, floor, or robot for the first time after becoming dead.

5 Likes

@GDC please put this in TU03. This is clear, succinct, and still allows leeway for multiple designs and applications.

I like it but I don’t agree with the robot making it live if no loops is their goal.

Teams will just get it so the ball bounces off the wall and lands in the robot

Furthermore wouldn’t the Everybot video be legal? That can’t be what they want

1 Like

These videos are an amazing resource. Teams now have benchmark times for these challenges, which is incredibly important when it comes to any sort of time shaving challenge/race. Once again the Everybot crew is raising the bar in terms of team provided resources.

26 Likes

That is my preference, that only the the floor or HP can revive a PC. I don’t think it is intended for intentionally catching PC to rescore. I think it the rules are a little unrestricted however to deal with accidental bounce ins, but it probably is easier to say those re-scored PCs don’t count and let teams deal with either re-running the challenge or modifying the robot to prevent errant bounce ins.

2 Likes

We’re doing something similar. Luckily, you don’t need anything more than an intake to put up points for 3 challenges (galactic search, autonav, hyperdrive) and you only have to intake 3 PCs.

Looks like you could go smaller if you removed those front 2 wheels. Or remove the center wheel and set the outside wheels closer together.

1 Like

Amazing videos!

Can you give me some more information about how your driving controls are set up? Looks like a normal gamepad, is it split sticks (one for forward & one for turn)? I assume you are squaring inputs, is a deadband applied to the DifferentialDrive? Is is just standard arcade drive or do you use curvature or anything fancy? Ramping of inputs? Anything else interesting?

Do you normally do the same type of setup for your competition bot, if not what are the differences and why?

Logitech gamepad, basic split arcade as you describe. We’ve been running this setup with nothing too fancy on our competition robots for many years now. It’s just what our drivers get used to.

3 Likes

On Tuesday, February 16th the Everybot crew will be guests on FIRST Canada Live! We will be discussing the Everybot design philosophy, the history of the Everybot and Everybot success stories. The show begins at 7pm EST and the Everybot segment begins at 8pm.

16 Likes

You can find the video of the segment here: https://youtu.be/mzhfucvNiG4?t=3649

5 Likes