"The chassis has detected an unrecoverable error"

Our cRIO has a solid orange status light. It worked just fine this morning, but then we re-imaged it in an attempt to fix an unrelated problem. I don’t know exactly when the light went solid, but I think it was right after the re-imaging. Either way, it’s solid, and our robot won’t connect to the driver station, cRIO imaging tool, or Windriver. The manual published by National Instruments for the cRIO FRC II (What we’re using) says that a solid status light means that “the chassis has detected an unrecoverable error” and you need to “contact National Instruments.”

NI’s tech support is difficult to navigate, and I don’t even know if we have a service contract, so I came here first. Surely someone’s encountered this problem before. So, what’s wrong? And how do I fix it?

The NI FRC support number is posted at the NI FIRST Community. The cRIO has a 3 year warranty.

I haven’t seen or read anything about that issue, but on the topic of support.

From NI’s First page(https://decibel.ni.com/content/community/first/frc)

If you need assistance with activation or cRIO repair, call (866) 511-6285 from 1 p.m. to 7 p.m. CST, M-F.

They maybe able to help.

Our experiences with NI support has been outstanding. They understand the build and competition season time constraints and will do their best to help.

I called NI, but they aren’t open right now. I also sent them an email, which should get me a response in 1 “business day.” I’m going to try calling them again tomorrow during the day. Thanks for the help!

Update: National Instruments only offers support for FIRST programs during the build season itself. The only other way to get support through NI for FIRST-related issues is by using their forums. I cross-posted this there, but we’re still in need of any help we can get.

Any update from calling them? We had a bad ethernet port on a 4-slot cRIO the day before bag day this year. Even though it was a holiday, one of my fellow mentors was able to talk to someone at NI on the phone and they overnighted a new one to us. Great customer service!