The Dr. Bart Kamen Memorial FIRST Scholarship Fund

http://www.usfirst.org/aboutus/first-announces-endowed-scholarship-fund-to-honor-the-memory-of-long-time-volunteer-dr-bart-kamen

This is fitting tribute to Dr. Kamen, and an amazing opportunity for man FIRST students. Thanks to all the people and organizations who have made this fund possible.

Press Release - January 4, 2013

***FIRST* Announces Endowed Scholarship Fund to Honor the Memory of Long-Time Volunteer Dr. Bart Kamen**

New, Transportable Scholarships for Students Pursuing Degrees in Biomedical Engineering & Pre-Med

**MANCHESTER, N.H., January 7, 2013 **― FIRST](http://www.usfirst.org/)****® (For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology), a not-for-profit organization founded by Dean Kamen to inspire young people’s interest and participation in science and technology, announces the establishment of *The Dr. Bart Kamen Memorial FIRST Scholarship Fund. *The *Fund *honors the long-time FIRST Volunteer Judge and late brother of Dean Kamen, Dr. Bart Kamen, and is designed to encourage undergraduate students pursuing biomedical engineering and/or pre-medical degrees.

*The Dr. Bart Kamen Memorial FIRST Scholarship Fund *was founded by a collaborative donation among Dr. Kamen’s friends, family and fellow *FIRST *community members. Initially the Fund, which totals over $2 million, will annually award renewable grants of $10,000 each to three students - who have already demonstrated innovation, respect for science & engineering and compassion - to pursue the undergraduate study of biomedical engineering and/or pre-medical studies. The grants, renewable for up to three additional years, will be used to help successful applicants attend the college of their choice.

“By selecting students who have successfully participated in one of the four K-12* FIRST* progression of robotics programs, *The Dr. Bart Kamen Memorial FIRST Scholarship Fund *wishes to encourage students who have already excelled to honor the legacy of Dr. Kamen, whose brilliance, compassion and passion improved the lives of countless patients,” said Bob Tuttle, Interim President, FIRST.

Dr. Bart Aron Kamen was a distinguished pediatric oncologist, cancer pharmacologist and devoted family man. He was also a long-tenured and passionate FIRST supporter. Dr. Kamen was known by his colleagues as a brilliant scholar, compassionate physician, dedicated mentor and gentle man with unfettered enthusiasm for learning, teaching, talking science and challenging the mainstream with his out-of-the box thinking for the betterment of patient care.

A prominent researcher as well as a caring doctor, Dr. Kamen authored more than 300 manuscripts and was the editor-in-chief of The Journal of Pediatric Hematology Oncology.

Dr. Kamen received his M.D. and Ph.D. from Case Western Reserve University and served his internship/residency and fellowship in pediatrics and pediatric hematology-oncology and pharmacology at Yale University.
“Our FIRST scholarship recipients are outstanding contributors to the colleges and universities they attend, and the corporations where they intern, and they have a wonderful track record at their employers,” noted Walt Havenstein, Chairman FIRST Board of Directors. “As FIRSTAlums, they carry the message that the pursuit of a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) foundation is paramount to the country’s workforce development, as well as their own long-term career.”

The total number of scholarship dollars available to college-bound *FIRST *participants has grown to over $16 million with the addition of the new Fund. Eleven new college/university/corporate providers joined the FIRST Scholarship program in 2012.

A total 158 colleges, universities, corporations, associations and funds support the FIRST mission by generously donating merit-based scholarship opportunities to eligible students who want to take their FIRST experience to the next level. Last year, nearly one in three applicants was offered a FIRST Scholarship, and 25 percent of the recipients were female.

Any FIRST participant in the FIRST® Robotics Competition (FRC®), FIRST ® Tech Challenge (FTC®) or FIRST® LEGO® League (FLL®) who has completed a minimum of one year in a *FIRST *program is eligible to apply for the Dr. Bart Kamen FIRST Scholarship Fund. The deadline for applications is February 15, 2013. Links to criteria and the application form available on the *FIRST *web site, www.usfirst.org, the week of January 7.

A fitting tribute. And no surprise that “Dr. Kamen’s friends, family and fellow FIRST community members” brought the total fund up to $2 million in a relatively short time.

Thanks so much for posting this, Karthik. I’m afraid it might have gotten lost in the Kickoff flurry.

Just so everyone knows: The deadline is 2/15/13 - so get crackin’! I think this will be a great opportunity for students who want to make the world a better place, as my father did. :slight_smile: I’d like to thank FIRST again for this amazing opportunity to honor him, and I know we as a community will make him very very proud.

http://www.usfirst.org/aboutus/scholarships/dr-bart-kamen-memorial-scholarship

Are we still able to donate to this fund? I hope I didn’t miss the boat. I am still a student, but the hospitality he showed me my freshman year when I met him in the Jersey Regional is the reason I am in FIRST today. He showed me the true message of FIRST, and I, and the four people I shared this experience with, will never forget it.

This scholarship was spoken about at the Founders Reception, and I was deeply touched by both the stories about the amazing man that Dr. Bart Kamen was, as well the amazingly fitting way that they have found to honor him. It was great to hear Dean say that while his brother was much more academically inclined, he always encouraged Dean to have confidence in himself and get out there and do what he loved. And in turn, years later Dean & DEKA made several inventions to help his brother with his research. So many siblings get into contests as to whom is better in school, or who gets the better job. I could tell that the Kamen Brothers really were an amazing compliment for eachother.

I believe the idea is that they mentioned at the Founders Reception is that this is a running trust fund, and that they will be looking to grow the fund so that they can expand the offerings and continue the scholarships long into the future. So I doubt its too late to donate, and its a wonderful gesture that you are interested!

I completely agree it is one of my most memorable moments in the FIRST Program so far!

Just want to bump this thread one more time - please remember that applications for the scholarship are due 2/15! All the info is here:

http://www.usfirst.org/aboutus/scholarships/dr-bart-kamen-memorial-scholarship

My family will be so honored to give this scholarship out this year to some truly wonderful students, and we can’t wait to read about them. Don’t miss your chance to submit!

P.S. To those of you who want to donate - I am not sure quite who to contact, but [email protected] might be a good start -they can probably put you on the right track. Sorry for not answering this earlier, I didn’t see it until I went to bump this thread!