The Gearless Gearbox

Drawing inspiration from @BuddaJem, I decided to also attempt a revolutionary new gearbox design. 10 Minutes in OnShape later, I present to you:

The Gearless Gearbox

Simply wrap your motor shaft with a friction-y material and use the friction to spin your wheels directly.

Gear(less) ratio = 19.05:1

I will be taking no further questions. Thank you.

53 Likes

West Coast Products:

33 Likes

27 Likes

I have no idea if this would work, but if it does, one could easily retrofit it to a CVT by putting cones on the motors and mounting them on an adjustable arm. Tensioning would be an issue but potentially not insurmountable.

2 Likes

13 Likes

That is incredible.

1 Like

I thought this thread would be a gearbox but with belts (if that was even possible)

3 Likes

In the eyes of me, a programmer with not too much electrical/mechanical experience, this is totally normal and not blasphemous.

To top it all off, we need the friction-y material to be made out of gummy bears.

3 Likes

What is the friction of the motor shaft material to the wheel and how does it compare to the wheel to the carpet?

I think I’m more worried about normal force than friction coefficient…

2 Likes

Are you SURE? Certain sugar-free gummy bears will most likely result in LESS friction…

11 Likes

:man_shrugging:

Edit: after looking at those amazon reviews mentioned below i now understand the meaning of your message :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Dip the motor shafts in Flex Seal.

4 Likes

Why dip, when you can spray?

2 Likes

For those that haven’t read one of the greatest Amazon review sagas of all time, you’re welcome. Or not; read at your own displeasure.

9 Likes

What if the 2 falcons were powered pulleys and the wheel was one big one? The belt would just wrap around all of it… reminds me of that bot in 2016

2 Likes

I am truly honored to be an inspiration to you, There is no question you have far surpassed my skills. We will keep a keen eye on you.

5 Likes

Reminds me of 2011 minibots

3 Likes

ATTENTION ALL:
I HAS DONE IT
I HAS SUCCEEDED IN MARKETING THIS REVOLUTION VIA FUSION360 RENDER

LET US BASK IN THIS ENGINEERING MARVEL! BEAUTIFUL ENGINEERING! INNOVATION
Denim treads, gold wheels, red granite screw thingies, paper body, glass motors, memes
THIS THING HAS IT ALL
except gummy bears
fusion368 doesn’t have any gummy bears :frowning:
BUY NOW

(i tried to do a 4K rendering. it’s uglier than i expected given that i uploaded a decal on the wheel. Since i uploaded it to Microsoft Whiteboard the quality may have diminished as well.

12 Likes

So 135 actually ran something like this back in 1998. The picture is obviously a retrofit to the original design using more modern motors (I think the original design ran drill motors). I am told this method actually worked fairly well back then. The build in “clutch” of the system made sure the motors did not burn out.

I got the opportunity to drive this robot a little. It was very fun to drive, but struggled with precise movement. It certainly wasn’t going to win any pushing matches.

Certainly not advocating for this method in modern FRC.

15 Likes