@ACrazyChipmunk and I have been putting together an Onshape integrated cloud app to make using MKCad a lot easier. It features:
- A search bar, allowing you to filter by type of component and by name
- Fine grained control by the MKCad team over what parts you can see (no more scrolling through part studios whose only purpose is to become an assembly or 1000 parts making up the roboRIO)
- Fewer clicks between you and inserting a part
- Very few bugs!
The last item is what we want your help with. If you’re interested in trying this out, please fill out the form here to be added to the beta tester team. Once you have been added to the team (you will get an email from Onshape notifying you), you can go to the Onshape App Store and click “Subscribe.”
Follow the steps (of course, access will always be free) to get it added.
After that, this swanky icon: will show up on the right side of your assembly tabs here:
Clicking on this will open up the MKCad window. The first time you use it, it will ask you to authorize access to your account. Click “Authorize application” as long as you trust me at least a little bit (you can always revoke this permission by going to your onshape account).
Now the interface itself should appear.
(You won’t see the admin button unless you’re me or Karthik for now).
Hopefully using it is pretty straightforward- click on a document name to open the accordion, then click on a part to insert it (it will always insert at the origin.) If the part is configurable, you’ll get a cute little dialog that lets you configure the part before inserting:
And that’s basically it! So, hopefully by beta testing you’re willing to give us some feedback. You’ll actually be doing this whether you like it or not, because I’ll be monitoring the server load and any errors that show up on the backend. But it would be nice if you would talk to us as well. Specifically please let us know:
- Any errors or weird behaviors that show up (can’t start up the app, parts not being inserted, taking a while to load, etc).
- MKCad parts that you don’t see (usually this will just be because I forgot to toggle them available)
- The search bar being weird (this will almost definitely happen at least once or twice)
If you run into any new issues (not currently known or you can’t work around the authorization error) please post in the thread. Please include screenshots and a clear description of what the error is or what should be changed.
Please also suggest usability changes that make it easier for you to use this app. The goal is to make it as streamlined of an experience as possible.
Because this is still under development, there may be periods of downtime while we do upgrades or when I accidentally shut down the terminal session running the server. Please be patient, the old way is still available.
If you do want to look at, contribute to, or co-opt the code, it is open source on Github. I apologize in advance.
Please give us your thoughts!
Currently known issues:
- Sometimes browser privacy settings can frustrate the authorization system. If you can’t start it up at all, get a blank screen, endless redirects, or a browser error, first try disabling any privacy extensions (Ublock, privacy possum, etc) and/or make your browser privacy settings (specifically ones related to cookies or cross-site cookies) less strict. We are currently investigating a long-term solution to this.
- Some parts have broken thumbnails