THE most critical action: Week 1

What robot scoring action, in your opinion, will be the most critical in determining the outcome of a playoff match during Week 1?

• Moving off Initiation Line
  • Scoring in Bottom Goal
  • Scoring in Outer Goal
  • Scoring in Inner Goal
  • Control Panel
  • Climbing
  • Parking

0 voters

Climb.

4 Likes

I think your poll is broken

1 Like

I think so too. Fixed on third try.

who voted for control panel?

17 Likes

It’s likely to become the difference later on in the season. But certainly not for the average week one event.

1 Like

I vote for High Scoring Autonomous.

3 Likes

If you can’t move off the line, you probably can’t do much anything else.

20 Likes

That doesn’t really give much information for the OP question, though. We can expect robots in playoffs (even during week 1) to generally move off the initiation line. If all 6 robots move in >95% of playoff matches, then it’s not really an indicator of the outcome of the match. I voted climb since I believe robots attempting/failing climbs will cause several match losses.

4 Likes

In Week 1 2018 94.87% of robots moved forward to the line. Thus, it will probably be the same this year.

1 Like

Very curious where this number came from. Im finding 80% in quals which while still high is nowhere near your numbers.

2 Likes

A robot can still score in teleop without a working auto mode.

Unless we’re talking about the robot moving off the line at all, not just during auto. That definitely changes things.

2 Likes

Hot take: An alliance with at least one team that did not move off the initiation line in autonomous will be more predictive of a loss than an alliance with at least one team that does not climb.

Pretty sure that makes initiation line “more critical in determining the outcome of a playoff match during week 1” than climbing.

If that was not the intent of this poll, please rephrase and resubmit.

3 Likes

cries in LA North

1 Like

Hot take: If you are not climbing week 1 you will not be picked week 1. Therefore, inner/outer port shots will make the difference.

8 Likes

This is essentially my take for any event with >24 climbers. Though, 2 balanced climbers gets “close enough” on points that they’re at least in the hunt versus 3 unbalanced.

3 Likes

I think they were looking at Week 1 of 2019, which had a 94.87% success rate of moving off HAB in quals.

1 Like

Just wondering/ What percent of robots do you think will be climbing in week1?

Good catch. Even with that though, only 83% could do it during sandstorm, which included teleoperated driving.

1 Like

Just like we saw in 2019, climbing is going to to be weighted super heavily in low scoring matches. Buddy bars don’t seem like they’ll be employ to make this year but as usual they’re a free RP.

On the other hand, I don’t think we’ll see many control panel interaction/RP until later in the season. The average week 1 bot tends to be pretty inconsistent, so it’ll be somewhat uncommon to see 49 balls scored and control panel tasks completed this early.