THE PERFECT MATCH and the PERFECT GAME?

Posted by Anton Abaya at 2/4/2001 9:12 PM EST

Coach on team #419, Rambots, from UMass Boston / BC High and NONE AT THE MOMENT! :(.

Although I am sure this is dependent on what you have probably built your robot to do, what do you all think is the perfect alliance?

Would it be two robots who can pick up both small balls and big balls, one robot who can control the bridge and another bot that can balance? all in under a minute or so?

Or would it be a consistent alliance consisting of 4 robots that can all go under the bar and one being able to balance two goals?

What IS YOUR perfect match?

-anton

Posted by Josh at 2/4/2001 9:30 PM EST

Engineer on team #419, Rambots, from Wentworth Institute of Technology.

In Reply to: THE PERFECT MATCH and the PERFECT GAME?
Posted by Anton Abaya on 2/4/2001 9:12 PM EST:

: Although I am sure this is dependent on what you have probably built your robot to do, what do you all think is the perfect alliance?

: Would it be two robots who can pick up both small balls and big balls, one robot who can control the bridge and another bot that can balance? all in under a minute or so?

: Or would it be a consistent alliance consisting of 4 robots that can all go under the bar and one being able to balance two goals?

: What IS YOUR perfect match?

: -anton

Ivana Trump and Niel Diamand…

Oh, sorry, wrong joke…:slight_smile:

Josh
Team 419
“Murphy’s Laws: Don’t mess with Mrs. Murphy”

Posted by Josh at 2/4/2001 9:36 PM EST

Engineer on team #419, Rambots, from Wentworth Institute of Technology.

In Reply to: Re: THE PERFECT MATCH and the PERFECT GAME?
Posted by Josh on 2/4/2001 9:30 PM EST:

: : What IS YOUR perfect match?

: : -anton

: Ivana Trump and Niel Diamand…

: Oh, sorry, wrong joke…:slight_smile:

To all who had the unpleasantness of reading the last pots:

I’m sorry for potsing that, it was really corny, and it’s giving me a headache just knowing it’s up here. I apologize for any other pains caused upon reading it and will try to keep the really bad, overly corny jokes to a minimum. thank you and again, i apologize.

Josh
Team 419
“Murphy’s Laws: All Waranties expire upon payment of invoice.”

Posted by Ken Leung at 2/5/2001 3:17 AM EST

Student on team #192, Gunn Robotics Team, from Henry M. Gunn Senior High School.

The most common sense answer I can give is that whatever combination of robots that yield the highest score possible all the time.

As for the actual combination of robots¡K I have no clue at all. It’s not because I am stupid (I really isn’t), but because as of now, I cannot predict what kind of robots and how many of them are going to be there. If you are talking about functions that robots can do, maybe I CAN give a estimate of what combination of functions will be perfect¡K

It¡¦s just that this year the game really gave a lot of freedom to teams for designing their robot. There might be some part of the game that attract teams to do a particular function, but really there can be a lot of different robot that can do different combination of functions. And there is no telling if this robot combine with that robot will be perfect.

And then, there are always a chance that all the robot will be the same, all of them going to balance the bridge and no ball pickers. So, in that kind of situation there is no telling which kind of combination will works the best, neither. The standard of ¡§perfect¡¨ can be different from place to place, or regional to regional, or division to division.

We just have to see the competition to know which turns out to be the best. I bet that at National, most of the teams will be experience enough from regional that they will not have any trouble picking partners.

But then again, maybe that’s bad… maybe that eliminates the chance that teams will boldly explore the possibility of a different combination instead of the one they used to win regional.

Posted by Rich at 2/5/2001 5:21 PM EST

Engineer on team #334, BTHS Knights, from Brooklyn Tech. HS and Con Ed, SIAC Keyspan.

The perfect game:
Robot1 operates the bridge to speed up the bridge crossing. Robot2 takes Robot3/stretcher to the End Zone. 15 seconds.
Robot4 takes the goal to the End Zone side. 10 seconds.
Robot1 goes over to End Zone side. 10 seconds.
85 sec. remains.
Two robots work together to balance two goals on the bridge. 15 sec.- 70 sec. remains.

5 sec. to get into the End Zone.
Push the RED button! 65 sec. remains.

score: 50 pts.( 4 robot + stretcher) x 4 x 2.5 = 325 pts.

Oh to dream…

Team#334
Bkyln Tech Knights

Posted by Joe Johnson at 2/5/2001 8:46 PM EST

Engineer on team #47, Chief Delphi, from Pontiac Central High School and Delphi Automotive Systems.

In Reply to: Re: THE PERFECT MATCH and the PERFECT GAME?
Posted by Rich on 2/5/2001 5:21 PM EST:

I honestly think you have not set your sites high enough.

With only a slight change in strategy, the score should
be much higher.

For example, why didn’t the robot4 push the goal to the
human player to load up a the goal before dragging it
over to the end zone side of the field?

Why not have the robot that pulls the stretcher put at
big ball on top of the end zone side goal while it
waits for the other robots to join them?

Why have robot1 tied up tending the goal when maybe all
it needs to do is tip it toward itself, cross the
bridge and then tip it back for robot4?

Seems to me like 500 is the absolute minimum it is
going to take to win a regional.

Perhaps even 700 to win the later regionals and the
nationals.

Time will tell.

Joe J.

Posted by Raul at 2/6/2001 8:37 AM EST

Engineer on team #111, Wildstang, from Rolling Meadows & Wheeling HS and Motorola.

In Reply to: 320 seems a bit low…
Posted by Joe Johnson on 2/5/2001 8:46 PM EST:

Or, maybe I need more sleep.

Take another look at the post. 50 x 4 x 2.5 = 500, NOT 325 or 320.

Raul

: I honestly think you have not set your sites high enough.

: With only a slight change in strategy, the score should
: be much higher.

: For example, why didn’t the robot4 push the goal to the
: human player to load up a the goal before dragging it
: over to the end zone side of the field?

: Why not have the robot that pulls the stretcher put at
: big ball on top of the end zone side goal while it
: waits for the other robots to join them?

: Why have robot1 tied up tending the goal when maybe all
: it needs to do is tip it toward itself, cross the
: bridge and then tip it back for robot4?

: Seems to me like 500 is the absolute minimum it is
: going to take to win a regional.

: Perhaps even 700 to win the later regionals and the
: nationals.

: Time will tell.

: Joe J.

Posted by Rich at 2/6/2001 9:05 AM EST

Engineer on team #334, BTHS Knights, from Brooklyn Tech. HS and Con Ed, SIAC Keyspan.

In Reply to: You guys need more sleep!
Posted by Raul on 2/6/2001 8:37 AM EST:

Oops, my slide ruler malfunctioned. I better clean it.
(oh no, I just gave away my ago)

Posted by Rich at 2/6/2001 8:52 AM EST

Good comments!
We actually have many, many game plans.
It all depends on each of the 4 team’s abilities to perform tasks. I gave only the ‘idea’ game that required minimum effort.

Other options include flipping the two goal on their side and setting three ball on top of them for additional points. But everything has a price; TIME.

Everyday someone cames up with a new variation the game. It all depends on who our partners are.

Team #334
Brooklyn Tech Knights

Posted by Rich at 2/6/2001 8:55 AM EST

Good comments!
We actually have many, many game plans.
It all depends on each of the 4 team’s abilities to perform tasks. I gave only the ‘idea’ game that required minimum effort.

Other options include flipping the two goal on their side and setting three ball on top of them for additional points. But everything has a price; TIME.

Everyday someone cames up with a new variation the game. It all depends on who our partners are.

Team #334
Brooklyn Tech Knights

Posted by Joe Ross at 2/5/2001 8:46 PM EST

Engineer on team #330, Beach Bot, from Hope Chapel Academy and NASA/JPL , J&F Machine, and Raytheon.

My perfect match ends with 4 robots in the endzone and one stretcher, 2 goals balanced, laying on their sides, each filled with 20 small balls (not touching the floor) and 4 big balls resting on top of the goals. All in 29 seconds.

Don’t ask me how I’m going to do it, I haven’t figured that out yet.